Prescot Cables were comprehensively beaten by Salford City at Hope Street as their dismal run of results continued.

Cables will rue missing a golden opportunity to take the lead just before half time, then see a defensive lapse a minute later result in a goal for Salford.

Manager Dave Powell made four changes to the side which lost at home to Farsley on Saturday. Hollett, Banyihwabe, Barker and Ally replacing Barnett, Banda, Bathurst and Booth.

Salford kicked off playing towards the Hope Street end. In the early stages, Salford looked dangerous down the right hand side with Welsh and Abadaki linking well. The first scoring opportunity fell to Cables on 7 minutes when Ally fired from just inside the box and his shot was saved at the post by Salford keeper Danny Taberner. Taberner was called into action again when McCulloch intercepted a back pass, this time clearing the ball into touch.

Cables keeper Stephen Longrigg was called into action when he comfortably saved a shot from outside the box by Yarwood. Cables almost gifted Salford the lead as a result of a mix up between Hollett and Longrigg. Hollett inadvertently knocked the ball wide of Longrigg but Rimmer saved the day clearing off the goal line. A good move between Lane and Abadaki for Salford saw the latter’s cross headed clear by the Cables defence.

From a free kick taken by Edwards on the left of the box Banyihwabe’s shot was saved by the Salford keeper. Liam Hollett then produced a good header to cut out a long ball from Heald and clear the danger. From another long ball Abadaki played in White whose shot was taken comfortably by Longrigg.

On 35 minutes McCulloch took the ball forward from a free kick taken by Hollett after good work by Ally and shot just wide of the left post.

Cables should have taken the lead on 42 minutes when Ally intercepted a back pass and slid the ball past the keeper who managed to deflect the ball away from the goal. Banyihwabe followed up only to see his effort also cleared off the line. After this let off Salford stunned Cables a minute later by taking the lead. Longrigg miscued his thrown clearance which landed straight at the feet of Yarwood who promptly despatched the ball into the empty net from 30 yards.

Salford started the second half on the offensive, a fine run by White taking him inside the Cable’s penalty area, his shot just clearing the bar. Cables made their first substitution on 53 minutes, Thomas replacing Banyihwabe. Salford replaced White with Rother and he was soon into the thick of the action firing over from the edge of the penalty area. Glyn Barker then dispossessed Heald only to see his shot blocked by Taberner who then saved Barker’s second attempt. Salford’s Yarwood then played a fine ball from the left side into Holden who shot wide from outside the box.

Salford increased their lead on 62 minutes when Abadaki went down the right side and found McDonald who scored with a good shot from the edge of the box. Cables made their second substitution on 65 minutes Fargw replacing Ally. Longrigg was brought into action twice saving from Heald and McDonald as Salford threatened to increase their lead.

The third goal arrived on 71 minutes when Yarwood played a ball over the top of the Cables defence for Abadaki to run on to and place past Longrigg into the right hand corner of the goal. Longrigg saved from Yarwood as Salford threatened to run riot in the closing stages catching Cable son the break as they pushed forward to try and reduce the arrears. Thomas crossed fro Barker whose header was saved by Taberner.

Cables made their final substitution on 78 minutes Banda replacing Edwards.

Salford were warded a penalty on 81 minutes when Longrigg brought down McDonald. McDonald took the spot kick himself blasting the ball high over the cross bar.

Prescot Cables: Longrigg, Shinks, Jackson, Barnett, Rimmer, Murphy, McCulloch, Banyihwabe, Barker, Ally, Edwards. Substitutes: Barnett, Booth, Thomas, Fargw and Banda.