Prescot Cables lost to Farsley by the only goal in a scrappy disjointed encounter at Hope Street.

Manager Dave Powell made five changes to the side which lost at home to Skelmersdale United in the FA trophy the previous week. Longrigg replaced Parisi in goal and Shinks, Jackson, Barnett and Banda came in for Barba, Fielding, Williams and Bonetta.

Farsley kicked off playing towards the Hope Street end. Cables were soon on the attack and a cross from Edwards intended for Booth at the far post was intercepted by the Farsley defence. Farsley were awarded a free kick taken by Grant headed on by Muller for Hardy who found Watson who fired wide.

After good work down the right hand side between Banda and Shinks, Murphys cross was headed on by Bathurst to McCulloch who put his shot narrowly wide of the post. Banda and Shinks linked up again to find McCulloch whose return pass to Shinks set him up for an attempt on goal which was cleared by the Farsley defence.

After 21 minutes Farsley took the lead when Watson collected the ball midway in the Cables half on the right side. He took the ball forwards and as the Cables defence stood off him unleashed a fine dipping shot into the far corner of the net which Longrigg got a hand to but couldn’t prevent from crossing the line.

After 25 minutes from a free kick taken by Edwards Barnett headed wide for Cables. Farsley then came close to increasing their lead on 28 minutes when Muller received Grant’s pass and turned neatly firing against the left hand post. After this let off Cables then had an opportunity on 36 minutes to level the scores, McCulloch having his shot saved by Farsley keeper Morgan then Bathurst’s shot from the rebound being cleared off the goal line. Just before half time Jack Booth’s shot was deflected for a corner.

After the interval, a fine cross field move by Farsley involving Grant and Watson set up Walton on the left whose shot was blocked by the Cables defence. Priestley went on a run down the right for Farsley, his cross being blocked by Rimmer for a corner. From the corner taken by Watson Longrigg punched clear.

Cables made their first substitution of the afternoon on 55 minutes when Barker replaced Bathurst. Barnett found his name in the book on 60 minutes for a foul. From a corner taken by Booth and headed on by Jackson, Rimmer’s shot skimmed the top of the bar. On 65 minutes Watson tried his hand again for Farsley with another long range dipping shot which this time was comfortably held by Longrigg. Banda and Shinks linked up yet again down the right side, Shinks cross finding Booth whose shot went narrowly wide of the left post.

Cables made two more substitutions, McCoy and Ally replacing Edwards and Booth. Farsley then had an opportunity to clinch the points when Watson, Briggs and Grant linked up down the right finding Priestley on the edge of the penalty area who skied his shot over the bar. Jackson then had a shot deflected for a corner, and from the corner taken by McCoy Rimmer headed wide. As the game drew to a close there was a flurry of bookings with Farsley’s Hardy, Dempsey and Watson being shown the yellow card along with Cable’s Banda. Cables pushed forward in search of the equaliser and Farsley struck on the counter attack Grant passing to Priestley whose shot was well held by Longrigg.

Prescot Cables: Longrigg, Shinks, Jackson, Barnett, Rimmer, Murphy, McCulloch, Banda, Bathurst, Booth, Edwards. Substitutes: Hollett, Banyihwabe, McCoy, Ally, Barker.