St Helens Town 3-5 Squires Gate.

St Helens 1-1 Silsden.

Two home fixtures for Town last week netted only a single league point despite improved performances from Jimmy McBride’s men.

Tuesday evening saw Town take a first half lead against Squires Gate when Colin Quirk’s free kick forced Beesley into a save but Daniel Hand was first to react and slotted home the rebound. Gate’s Harries struck from a corner to level the scores on 22 minutes and in a frantic period Butorins put Town back ahead after good work from Mike Kavanagh. Town’s advantage was short lived as within 60 seconds Harries added his second when he broke clear and shot past Cowderoy in the Town goal. The visitors were to take a lead in to the half time break when Mayer struck from the penalty spot only moments after the referee and his assistant had failed to spot a corner at the other end, incorrectly awarding a goal kick and the advantage of a quick break for Squires Gate.

Shortly after the second half restart Town drew level when excellent work from Gillespie saw him control the ball beat defender Horn and rounding the advancing Beesley before shooting home from an acute angle. A deflected own goal saw Squires Gate regain the lead and despite lots of pressure in and around the visitors penalty box Town were to suffer a second penalty late on.

Saturday’s visit of Silsden took place in windswept conditions and both sides did their best to play football against the elements. Town spent the opening half on the defensive and Silsden took a 27th minute lead courtesy of a well-crafted goal when McNutly was released on the left wing and his pin-point cross was met by Gaughan who found the top left hand corner of Cowderoy’s goal. Town almost levelled in the final minute of the first half when Quirk forced a fine save from Silsden’s stopper. The second half saw Town dominate with good chances falling to Gillespie and Butorins, before Quirk’s deflected free kick levelled the scores with just five minutes remaining. Town almost earned three points in added time when Man of the Match Ian Smith shot from the edge of the box but his effort was deflected the wrong side of the post.

Town visit Padiham on Saturday 3rd December, kick off 3.00pm