IT was not pretty at times but Saints bounced back from something of a sloppy start to secure a comfortable victory.

Jonny Lomax was impressive for Saints at full back - but they were also helped on their way by the attacking prowess of Mark Percival.

After defending their line well in the opening quarter, after some self-inflicted wounds with the ball Saints hit back.

Once again Saints were guilty of some sloppy unforced handling errors, which added to the stop start game.

They took a 10-0 half time lead against the run of play and pressed home their advantage in the second half when they were always in control.

Coach Justin Holbrook had made changes, with Lomax dropping in at full back with Theo Fages recovered from his head knock to slot in at six.

With Tommy Makinson back on the wing, it meant Adam Swift missing out.

Lomax was a real gamestar in his second game back after a lengthy lay off and was at the heart of most of Saints' potent attacking moves.

Vikings started well, with centre Charly Runciman going over but losing the ball.

After they defended four sets in a row Saints hit the visitiors with a counter punch when Lomax sparked into action, with Regan Grace released up the flank.

The Welsh speedster combined with Percival for the latter to cross by the posts.

And moments Saints were back again with the ball getting wide to the left and Grace's pace did the rest.

Widnes' own pace man Ryan Ince posted one in the corner at the start of the second half but Saints were in no mood to let this one slip.

After Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook had gone close, big Alex Walmsley rumbled over to reach out and Saints were on the march.

Widnes restart kick went out on the full and Saints were back up piling on the pressure.

Fine play from full back Lomax fashioned the chance for centre Ryan Morgan to score on the hour mark.

Although Danny Craven scored under the posts, when he took an offload from Rangi Chase.

Saints largely kept the Vikings dangerman Chase on a short rein and he was in and out of the game.

The second half was punctuated with penalties, largely committed by the Vikings before they were placed on a team warning.

It did stop the flow of the game, but Saints overcame that against Super League's basement side.

And they had the last word when Theo Fages was rewarded for a busy game when he charged down a kick and collected to scamper over for the final score.

The win lifts Saints above Wigan to sixth, but they are still five points off a top four spot.

There is still a lot of rugby to be played, if Saints can carry on winning - particularly in the four-pointers against those above them - there is still hope.

Saints: Lomax; Makinson, Morgan, Percival, Grace; Fages, Smith; Walmsley, Roby, Amor, Taia, Wilkin, McCarthy-Scarsbrook.

Subs: Douglas, Thompson, Knowles, Richardson.

Vikings: Johnson; Ince, Marsh, Runciman, Thompson; Chase, Heremaia; Dudson, Johnstone, Buchanan, Whitley, Houston, Cahill.

Subs: Manuokafoa, Chapelhow, Olbison, Craven.