SAINTS easily saw off the challenge of relegated London Broncos to return to top spot with a series of late tries putting the icing on the cake.

In blistering heat, Nathan Brown's men were always in control against a game, but ultimately out-muscled young London side.

Apart from a patchy ten minute second half spell, the only negative was seeing Lance Hohaia hobble off to his foot placed in a protective boot.

Saints took the lead with a Mark Percival try after seven minutes, and they soon doubled that with a Kyle Amor close-range effort.

And when Alex Walmsley pierced the line, backed up by James Roby, Saints were in again with Jordan Turner crossing and it looked like it was going to be a turkey shoot.

But the one way traffic was reversed when Jon Wilkin's kick was charged down allowing James Woodburn-Hall to race in.

But further Saints tries from Turner, and one from Paul Wellens, albeit from a pass a mile forward, pushed Saints into a 28-6 lead at the break.

Good hands from Wilkin and Wellens fashioned a 47th minute try for Percival as Saints experimented with James Roby off the pitch.

At that stage a cricket score looked on the cards, but Saints gave the Broncos a couple of early Christmas presents with touchdowns from Will Lovell try and Denny Solomona.

Suddenly, for a short spell at least, shades of the previous week’s wilting against Bradford reared their ugly head, with the scoreboard moving to 32-16.

And to compound their misery Hohaia hopped off, neccessitating Turner switching to six.

But as the game entered the last quarter, Saints showed some ruthlessness with Matty Dawson polishing off a nice movement.

The strong running young middle man Luke Thompson was rewarded for his form of late, running a good line for a well-taken try.

By now Saints sensed some easy points were in the offing and Sia Soliola raced in from the restart for a length of the field score.

Defenders got nowhere near the powerhouse Samoan World Cup skipper as he rolled back the years to race 80 metres.

Late scores from Anthony Laffranchi and Dawson flattered Saints a touch, but the vocal travelling fans – including a 50-strong contingent of elves and Santas – left the ground happy.

And plenty were already mourning the fact they would not be making the trip to London next year.