MARTIN Murray’s promoters are pushing for him to take on the newly crowned IBF middleweight champion Sam Soliman in October.
Golden Gloves’ boss Rodney Berman has already approached Soliman’s camp about matching the fighters in Monte Carlo in the autumn.
Berman has made, what he describes as a “substantial offer” to the veteran Australian, who beat Murray’s old foe Felix Sturm for the title last month.
Murray fights Max Bursak for the WBC Silver belt in Monaco a week on Saturday, but plans are already afoot to land a bigger prize later this year.
The South African-based Golden Gloves boss said: “The middleweight division is very fluid right now and Martin is a big part of that.
“He’s proven himself in major fights and he has huge pulling power.”
Soliman is the obvious man to pursue in the division – WBC champion Miguel Cotto is likely to fight an established fighter in New York or Las Vegas after his win over Sergio Martinez last weekend.
And WBA Super champion Gennady Golovkin, has a fight lined up against Daniel Geale next month.
Berman is pursuing Soliman, reasoning that, at age 40, the Australian cannot afford to sit on the sidelines.
The promoter will be keeping a close eye on the August 9 fight between Jarrod Fletcher and Daniel Jacobs for the WBA’s regular middleweight belt.
“I would be prepared to offer the winner a deal for an October 21 bout against Murray,” said Berman.
Murray is well placed for an assault on the world title after two desperately close attempts, losing a controversial decision to Martinez in Argentina and drawing with Sturm in Germany.
He is rated number four by the World Boxing Council and effectively number one by the International Boxing Federation, which has the first two positions vacant.
However, Murray must first beat Bursak in ten days time to set the wheels in motion for the planned October extravaganza.