Swift's late try rescues Saints' 100 per cent record

Adam Swift

Sia Soliola

First published in Sport
Last updated
St Helens Star: Photograph of the Author by , Senior Sports Writer

Saints produced their get out of jail card for the second week running with a late Adam Swift try snatching the points at Castleford.

All had seemed lost at the break when they trailed 24-6, but they whittled that lead down to two points when Paul Wellens capped a record breaking night by breaching the 1,000 point mark with a vital try five minutes from time.

And that set up an unbelievable final passage of play for Swift to seal it and maintain Saints' perfect start to the season.

Saints got off to an awful start when Jon Wilkin, back in the fold after serving a two match suspension, was caught cold by the kick off.

Two plays later and Cas centre Jake Webster was powering through a gap with barely a minute on the clock.

Marc Sneyd slotted the extras.

It rattled Saints, and that lack of composure and some tigerish Cas defence forced errors and the home side all the momentum.

Saints had a lucky escape when a Sneyd kick wide hit the fingertips of Michael Shenton before being touched down - the video ref ruled a knock on.

But Cas had their tails up and marched down the field with a kick wide caught by Justin Carney unopposed and fed inside to Shenton who did the rest.

And a couple of minutes later Sneyd dabbed through for Millington to touch down, with the Cas half back making it 18-0.

Saints got a toe-hold back in the game as a result of two penalties with Sia Soliola crashing through.

However, Saints seemed determined to press the self destruct button with Jordan Turner's inside ball not finding Tommy Makinson allowing Shenton to pick up and race 35 metres.

Trailing 24-6 at the break Saints needed a big effort in the second 40.

With Paul Wellens on at the break, Josh Jones was switched to the centres - and what a difference he made there.

He powered down the left and turned the ball inside to the outstanding Jonny Lomax who did the rest.

Walsh hit the post with the conversion attempt.

Lomax had a massive second half and Saints really bucked their ideas and a Swift interception gave them a great attacking position for Tommy Makinson to squeeze in at the corner.

Saints were at last making a game of it, but then it looked like that bubble was well and truly burst when Carney chased another Sneyd to touch down.

With 14 minutes to play Swift flew in at the corner, but the ref gave a forward pass, but a Wilkin high ball caught and touched down by Turner to set up a gripping last ten minutes.


Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree