Blackbrook 54 Wigan St Cuthberts 10

Blackbrook 54 Wigan St Cuthberts 10

Blackbrook 54 Wigan St Cuthberts 10

First published in Sport

 Brook reached a half century for the third time this season running in ten tries against their Wigan rivals in what turned out to be a fiery encounter.

The home side opened the scoring in the fifth minute when Jordy Welsby found Stephen Parkinson in space Brook speedy winger raced clear he chipped the ball over the full back and won the footrace race to touchdown in the corner.

Ten minutes later Skipper Greg Hale broke away from an attacking scrum 30 metres out he beat off the attention of several defenders to score a superb individual try with Parkinson adding the conversion.

St Cuthberts rallied and centre Earl Hurst scored a well taken try in the corner.

Brook dispelled any thoughts of a comeback however with four tries in a10 minute spell leading up to half time. Jordy Welsbys kick on the last tackle was fumbled by the Wigan full back the loose ball was pounced upon by Mark Webster he was quickly tackled however he managed to wriggle his arms free and pass to Greg Hale who dived over for his second try.

Two minutes later a break from Jack Parker sparked a move that led to Danny Fairhurst scoring between the posts after taking a pass from Jordy Welsby.

It was Welsby who scored the next try taking a super off load from Mark Webster and scored by the posts.

On the stoke of half time good yards from Cliffton Richardson set up the position for Mark Websters third try assist of the half by sending Greg Hale over for his hat trick with Parkinson adding his Fourth conversion. Earl Hurst added his second try in the opening minutes of the second half with Declan Riley converting.

Hurst broke clear minutes later and his hat trick try looked likely before a superb cover tackle from Brooks Tom Hurst prevented the score.

Ten minutes into the half Ian Honey dummied his way over from close range with Stephen Parkinson converting.

The home side was soon camped out on the visitors try line again Danny Fairhurst and Sean Richardson both went within a whisker of scoring before the ball was swept out to the left for Stephen Parkinson who crashed over the corner adding a superb touch line conversion.

With ten minutes remaining Jordy Welsby added his second try following a free flowing move with Ian Honey twice involved before releasing the try scoring pass to Welsby. Parkinson added his Seventh conversion.

Tempers flared late on with Jack Fishwick seeing a Red Card for the visitors with two from each side from each team finding themselves in the sin bin after a melee.

A late penalty for Brook was quickly taken by Ian Honey he spotted a gap in the defence and outpaced the defence to score in the corner.

Jordy Welsby was selected as The Tisdalls Man of the Match with Mark Webster taking the NL Commercials Players Man of the Match. .

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree