Billinge lose at Rylands

Billinge fell to a 3-1 defeat at Rylands on Saturday and again they only have themselves to blame.

After dominating the first-half they were disappointed to go in just one goal up.

The chances were there but again they were missed and The Storks were made to pay, in the second-half, when Rylands scored twice within two minutes of the half starting.

The game finished 3-1 and it was a disappointed Billinge contingent that left Warrington: Disappointed in that, while there were many positives in the performance, a failure to convert chances and being undone by three simple long-ball goals again lost Billinge the points.

The Storks - with debutants Steve Edwards and Paul Ryan in their starting line-up were quickest out of the blocks as on four minutes Chad Whyte burst down the right, produced an excellent cross that just evaded the onrushing Edwards.

Five minutes later Billinge were ahead when a free kick was whipped in by Dave Quigley.

With Graeme Green challenging the ball deflected off a Rylands player and into the back of the net.

It was now all Billinge as Edwards had a shot saved off the line by a defender after good work by Quigley.

On 19 minutes another excellent cross saw Edwards again denied a goal by a fine save from Rylands keeper Andy Moor.

The best chance of the first period came when Tim Lees found Ryan with a peach of a ball but the midfielder hesitated and his shot was saved by Moor with the rebound just evading Green.

Lees then hit a 25-yard free-kick over the bar before his second free-kick found Edwards whose volley grazed the bar.

With the final move of the half, Edwards flicked the ball into Ryan's path but again Moor was up to the task turning the ball around the post.

The Storks went in to the break in full control but within two minutes of the restart they were behind.

A ball broke in midfield and a simple ball over the top saw Lee Deakin leave Elliot Bradshaw for pace and smash the ball past Aaron Cameron in the Billinge goal.

With the team's concentration gone another simple long ball caught the defence out and Rylands half-time substitute Ewan Rodger to run on to and finish well.

Billinge regained their composure and only a wonder save from Moor prevented Green from equalising.

There were further efforts from Green, Edwards and Quigley but with Billinge chasing the game another long ball - late in the day - saw Rodger run in and make it 3-1 to the home side.

After the game Billinge chairman was a realistic man when he said; "We are not far off getting it right on the pitch but we have got to learn to finish our chances and keep our concentration for 90 minutes.

"Manager Gareth Fletcher asked the lads to press all over the pitch and we did that for the first 45 minutes bit for whatever reason we went to sleep for two minutes at the start of the second half."

This Saturday Billinge are away at Styal for a Cheshire League fixture; kick-off 2pm.

Meanwhile Billinge Reserves progressed to the next round of the Northern Cup when they beat Southport Trinity 8-7 on penalties after the game finished 2-2 after extra time.

They will play Digmoor in the next round in the New Year.


Comments are closed on this article.


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree