Prescot Cables 2 Curzon Ashton 3

Prescot Cables lost by the odd goal in five in this thriller at Hope Street, both teams having a man sent off.

Cables Manager Dave Powell made three changes from the team which had lost to Ossett Town last week. Lowton, Dempsey and Evans replacing Culkin, Lynch and McCulloch.

Cables kicked off playing towards the Hope Street End. Cables were awarded two free kicks in quick succession both taken by Dave Dempsey, the second of which beat the Curzon Ashton defensive wall but was collected by Carnell in goal.

Curzon were quick on the counter attack and Sam Walker passed neatly across the edge of the penalty area to Matthew Warbuton who shot just wide of the far post. Shortly afterwards, Lowton did well to save Warburton’s shot on the turn from just inside the box.

Curzon took the lead on 14 minutes from a free kick awarded for a foul on Brooke just outside the penalty area. Watson took the free kick which the Cables defence failed to clear and the ball fell invitingly for Brooke at the far post who scored from close range. Curzon continued to press and Walker played a neat one-two with Warburton who shot just wide.

Cables equalised on 19 minutes when Carnell under pressure from Rob Doran failed to clear a long ball properly, and Isaac Kusaloka scored with a spectacular shot from the edge of the box which nestled into the far corner of the net.

Shinks then found Kusaloka with another long ball which he held up well but the Curzon defence eventually cleared the danger.

Curzon continued to be dangerous on the counter attack and a long range effort by Warburton narrowly went over the bar. Curzon then had two free kicks in dangerous positions.

The first from the right taken by Watson to the far post was headed clear by the Cables defence.

The second taken by Walker was blocked for a thrown in which the Cables defence failed to clear and Warburton turned neatly inside the penalty area and fired past Lowton into the far corner of the net to give Curzon the lead.

Cables tried the long ball option in an effort to get back into the game. Kusaloka’s pass for Doran was cleared by the Curzon defence, and then Hunt cleared a long ball intended for Kusaloka for a throw in.

Curzon responded by winning a corner taken by Watson to the near post fro Warburton who flicked the ball wide. Both sides had further opportunities before the break. Dempsey’s free kick from the left again beat the defensive wall but was straight at the keeper, then Lowton saved Woodford’s header from a free kick taken by Watson.

The second half began in explosive fashion, with a double sending off a few minutes into the second period. Ryan Brooke appeared to grab Dave Dempsey by the neck from behind to which Dempsey responded angrily making contact with his hand on Brookes face. The referee produced the red card to both players.

Cables again tried the long ball and Curzon keeper Carnell miss kicked trying to clear and Kusaloka’s shot was blocked for a throw in. On 57 minutes Cables equalised when from a corner Bannister’s shot was helped into the net by a deflection off a Curzon defender.

Shortly afterwards Ged Murphy was booked for delaying taking a free kick because one of his team mates was lying injured at the time. This decision did not go down well with the Cables supporters.

Curzon continued to look dangerous down the flanks and an in swinging cross to the far post by Rowney went out of play. A good move between Coyle, Doran and Kusaloka was eventually cleared by the Curzon defence.

Curzon hit Cables on the break with Rowney, Young and Miner linking up well down the left side. Miner’s pass found Warburton in space inside the box and he scored with a spectacular shot over Adam Lowton into the far corner of the net to give Curzon the lead on 72 minutes.

Immediately, Dave Powell made his first change, McCarthy replacing Kusaloka. The Curzon defence had to deal with two corner kicks in quick succession, clearing the danger on both occasions. Back came Curzon on the counter attack, and Cummins stoked the ball through Lowton’s legs only for a Cables defender to clear off the line for a throw in.

Cables made another change, Cairns replacing Shinks as they threw caution to the wind in an attempt to get an equaliser. A long clearance by Lowton bounced over the Curzon defence but was taken by Carnell in goal.

McCarthy’s inside pass for Doran was intercepted by a Curzon defender and put out for a throw in. Cables made their final substitution, Cliff replacing Dunn. Another long clearance from Lowton again beat the Curzon defence but Carnell took it comfortably. Warburton almost completed his hat trick but Lowton pushed his shot away for a corner.

Coyle bringing the ball through from the back split the Curzon defence with a fine ball to send McCarthy and Doran clear but they were adjudged to be offside.

Prescot Cables: Lowton, Shinks, Dempsey, Murphy, Coyle, Shirley, Evans, Bannister, Kusaloka, Doran, Dunn. Substitutes: Beattie, Cairns, Breen, Cliff, McCarthy.

Curzon Ashton: Carnell, Bembolata, Miner, Hunt, Woodford, Young, Watson, Walker, Cummins, Warburton, Brooke.

Substitutes: Horrocks, Rowney, Dale, Bett.


Comments are closed on this article.


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree