Liverpool St Helens fell to a second North One West defeat in two weeks up at Wigton.

An already depleted squad was hit by a further late withdrawal resulting in an already strange looking back line being rejigged yet again. James Laycock and Ian Stanley formed the half back pairing with Joe Bate and Jack Jones in the centres. Dan Filson patrolled the field at full back with John Arnold making his debut on the left wing and Jake Hodson, the only player in his rightful place, on the right wing. Not one of them could be faulted for effort, no mean words after the mauling against Broughton Park, but ultimately the task proved too much.

Wigton, sponsored for the day by The Wigton Farmers, amongst whose ranks a second pack could have easily been assembled, were too strong and powerful for LSH. Although most definitely not having it all their own way they ran in three tries in the first half and two in the second before LSH responded fifteen minutes from the end.

On this occasion the penalty count was probably an accurate guide to supremacy and with 3 against Wigton and 8 against LSH in the first half matched by 11 against Wigton and 6 against LSH in the second half showed that LSH performed better than the score suggests. However they contributed to their own downfall in the first forty minutes with a number of mistakes, two of which were mercilessly punished by two fine tries from right winger Wood. The opening try from stand-off David Hanabury came in the 6th minute after an LSH scrum had been powerfully turned.

15-0 down at half time the Moss Laners, with a hard working pack, can take some pride in their second half performance, particularly after Wigton went further ahead with a superb try to brighten up a rapidly darkening day with an 80 yard move across six pairs of hands featuring an excellent run from Will Miller before being finished off by Mark Lee, converted by Hanabury.

Wigton scored again through skipper Matthew Atkinson with a converted try before LSH’s efforts were rewarded with a try in the 66th minute. A kick through from Ian Stanley was successfully chased by Jake Hodson and from the ensuing series of quick mauls replacement hooker John Windle bagged his first senior League try. The home side rounded off the scoring with a penalty in the 71st minute. This Saturday LSH entertain Wilmslow at Moss Lane. Kick off 2.15.


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree