Battling Town pull off their first double

St Helens Star: Andy Gillespie Andy Gillespie

West Didsbury & Chorlton 1 St Helens Town 2.

St Helens Town continued their excellent league form with a battling win at Brookburn Road on Saturday against a strong and in-form West Didsbury & Chorlton side.

The victory saw Town complete their first ‘double’ of the campaign against a side who only seven days earlier had defeated league leaders Runcorn Town for a second time.

It was Town’s first away fixture since the beginning of October and the win stretch their unbeaten league run to twelve games. With games in hand on a number of clubs above them Town will hope to make further progress up the league, despite the departure earlier in the week of manager Ian Granite due to work and family commitments.

The home side started brightly and Town were on the back foot for most of the opening 20 minutes conceding a number of corners which were comfortably dealt with.

When Town did get a foothold in the game both Danny Owens and Nathan Parish went close.

Ste Milne was upended just outside the West Didsbury box and Connor Sanderson’s well struck effort was forced wide by the home ‘keeper Hughes.

Further chances fell to Sanderson and Owens, with the former narrowly heading jist wide on 35 minutes.

With the break approaching Town took the lead when Nathan Parish made an excellent run from midfield before finding Sanderson who ran at the home defence before slotting a well weighted pass to Andy Gillespie who fired past Hughes from ten 12 yards.

The second half saw West start strongly and three chances inside the opening moments should have seen them at least level.

The best effort falling to Matt Greenwood who shot narrowly over the bar.

The pressure eventually told and West levelled on 67 minutes when a goal mouth scramble saw the ball break to Anthony Potts who drove past Ciaran Gibson from a tight angle, In an end to end finish to the game Andy Gillespie forced a fine block from a thunderbolt strike while at the other end Gibson stayed strong in the Town goal. Town’s winner came four minutes from the end of normal time and it was a worthy winner. Gillespie show his strength down the left hand win before crossing into the box where he found Milne. Despite being tightly marked the striker turned and set up Nathan Parish on the edge of the penalty box and he made no mistake with a stunning effort which gave the ‘keeper no chance.

An excellent all round performance to give Ian Price and Paul Jones a perfect start.

Town return to home territory on Saturday 7 December, with a game against Colne, at the earlier than usual kick-off time of 2pm at Brocstedes Park.


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree