Prescot Cables earned a point in a hard fought encounter with Warrington Town at Hope Street.  It was the least Cables deserved and with better finishing they could have taken all three points.

Cables manager Dave Powell made three changes from the side which beat Garforth two weeks ago.  Benn, Edwards and Pianna replacing Dempsey, McCulloch and Gratton.

Warrington managed by ex Cables manager Shaun Reid kicked off playing towards the Hope Street end.  Andy Fowler was soon on the attack down the right, his cross being cleared by Hollett.  Cables were soon to reply, Edwards shot being blocked by the Warrington defence and Lambert scooped the rebound over the bar.  Benn then played the ball inside the box to Dawson whose shot was deflected for a corner.  From the corner taken by Dawson, Hollett headed over.  It had been a good spell of pressure from Cables and they could quite easily have been in front at this stage of the game.

Warrington eventually managed to get out of their own half and were awarded a free kick 30 yards out.  From the free kick Ruane flicked the ball on for Kilheeney who fired over from close range.  After 15 minutes Ruane intercepted a pass from Shinks but his cross was cleared for a corner by the Cables defence.  Cables then had an opportunity to open the scoring on 24 minutes when Dawson dispossessed a Warrington defender but shot straight at goal keeper Robertson who saved comfortably.  Kilheeney then put Ruane through for Warrington who shot wide of the far post as the game ebbed and flowed from end to end.

After Dawson was fouled by Warrington skipper Dogan, there was a set to involving several players from both sides, Dogan was cautioned and Cables were awarded a free kick. On 37 minutes Town won a corner when Kilheeney’s shot was blocked.  From the corner Mannix’s shot was saved by Reid.  After 40 minutes Town almost snatched the lead when Fowler was clean through on goal, his well placed shot rebounding to safety off the far post.   From a corner just before the break Cables could have taken the lead when after the ball bobbled across the goal mouth Pianna just failed to prod it home, Murphy eventually shooting wide.

The second half began with Cables Jack Webb receiving a caution for a late challenge.  Cables took the lead on 50 minutes when Edwards played a long ball into the path of Dawson who held off the challenge of a Town defender to score with a well placed shot inside the far post.  Cables then had an opportunity to increase their lead when Webb was fouled outside the box.  Dawson hit the free kick over the Town defensive wall but wide of the post.  Brown then had an opportunity for Town his shot from outside of the penalty area being comfortably saved by Reid.  Brown then crossed for Kilheeny whose powerful header was saved on the goal line by Reid.  Cables substituted Bathusrt for Pianna as they sought to clinch the game.  Cables were awarded a free kick when Lambert was fouled.  The free kick taken by Webb was high over the bar and wouldn’t have looked out of pace at Langtree Park.  Cables won another free kick for hand ball outside the box.  The free kick taken by Edwards flashed past the far post.  Against the run of play Town snatched an equaliser on 75 minutes when Davies and Newby linked up well down the right.  Reid failed to hold onto Newby’s cross and Miles slotted home from close range.

Cables pressed forward in search of the winner and Lambert had a shot blocked.  A long ball over the top of the Warrington defence put Bathurst clear his shot was pushed away by Robertson for a corner.

Both sides pushed forward in search of the winner in the closing stages.  A free kick on the edge of the box taken by Miles was headed away by the Cables defence for a corner.  Reid then produced a fine save from close range to deny Newby.  Kilheeney then had a shot blocked and Reid punched a cross clear as Town threatened.  Cables were awarded a free kick in injury time, Rimmer heading on for Webb who shot wide.

Prescot Cables: Reid, Shinks, Benn, Murphy, Hollett, Webb, Evans, Lambert, Dawson, Pianna, Edwards.  Substitutes: Kelly, Rimmer, Bathurst, Jeffries, Doig.