Prescot Cables went down to another home defeat when they lost to New Mills at Valerie Park. Two goals down at one stage, Cabled got back into the game with a goal just before half time and despite a battling performance in the second half were unable to get the equaliser.

Cables manager Dave Powell made four changes from the side which lost at Skelmersdale in the Doodson Sports Cup in midweek. Spotswood, Evans, Banda and Bathurst replacing Pilkington, Booth, Barker and Edwards.

New Mills kicked off playing towards the Hope Street End. Despite the heavy pitch and driving rain throughout the game, both teams attempted to pass the ball instead of opting for the long ball game.

New Mills began promisingly with Egerton finding Grandison on the right with a fine cross field pass whose cross was comfortably taken by Cables keeper Spotswood. Another cross by Grandison was headed clear by Rimmer as New Mills dominated the early stages.

Chris Luby then received the ball from a throw in and his low hard shot was pushed away by Spotswood for a corner.

Jamie McCulloch was booked for a late challenge on 15 minutes, and from the resulting free kick taken by Fitzpatrick, the Cables defence cleared the ball for a corner. Douglas-Pringle then went on a fine run down the left for New Mills, Grandison just failing to reach his low hard cross across the face of the goal.

New Mills took the lead on 20 minutes when Chris Rimmer’s misdirected back pass was intercepted by Chris Lewby who turned past Spottswood and fired the ball into the empty net. Cables had their first attempt on goal after 25 minutes when from a free kick on the right just outside the penalty area, Hoctor shot narrowly over the bar. Douglas-Pringle and Young then linked up well for New Mills, the Cables defence clearing the danger. Spotswood then did well collecting the ball from a corner taken by Fitzpatrick under the bar.

On 40 minutes New Mills increased their lead when from a long ball out of defence, Grandison chipped the ball over Spotswood to the far post where Lewby was waiting to pounce to score from close range. Cables response was immediate and on 43 minutes, Webbs speculative cross cum shot was punched from under the bar by New Mills keeper Mills only as far as Bathurst who prodded the ball home from close range. Cables then threatened an equaliser just before halftime when from Hoctor’s free kick Rimmer headed on across the goal only for the New Mills defence to clear for a corner.

The second half began with Cables on the offensive, the New Mills defence being called into action to deal with crosses by Banda and Bathurst. Cables were warded a free kick just outside the penalty area on 50 minutes, but Hoctor’s shot was comfortably held by Mills. On 55 minutes Spotswood’s clearance was headed on by Evans to Bathurst who flicked the ball wide past the post. Cables made their first change on 58 minutes when Piana replaced Bathurst. Lewby was fouled outside the penalty area on 61 minutes and from the resulting free kick Meakin fired over the bar for New Mills.

Webb attempted to lob Mills but the New Mills keeper held the ball comfortably under the bar. Cables made their second change on 68 minutes when Barker replaced Evans. From a free kick taken by Hoctor, Mills punched the ball clear only for Webb to cross into the box where Piana attempted a spectacular overhead kick which went over the bar. Cables made their final change Kelly replacing Banda. Kelly was immediately in the thick of the action firing narrowly wide with a shot from the right.

Cables continued to press fro the equaliser. Webb was fouled after receiving the ball from Rimmer. Hoctor took the free kick but his shot was saved comfortably by Mills.

Prescot Cables: Spotswood, Shinks, Hoctor, Murphy, Rimmer, Evans, McCulloch, Banda, Bathurst, Webb, Lambert. Substitutes: Kelly, Hollett, Edwards, Piana, Barker.