Send us news by text, start your message Star News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Attack victim Carl Robinson on the mend - and vowing to get on with his life
CARL Robinson, the young man who suffered horrific facial injuries after being beaten by a pack of thugs wielding a For Sale signpost, has been lifted by the kind messages of Star readers.
This newspaper’s story of the cowardly assault on the 19-year-old led to an outpouring of comments on the Star’s digital media, particularly Facebook.
Many condemned the attackers, while others sent messages of support to the victim, who has learning difficulties.
As Carl, from Merton Bank, lay in hospital recovering from a second operation to repair a fractured jaw, his mother, Marie, would read out the kind messages willing him to get better.
She believes those words of encouragement have instilled him with the confidence to get on with his everyday life.
Marie, 40, told the Star: “He is doing fantastic. When the article went out in the Star. I kept looking on my phone at the Facebook messages and reading them to him.
“It really perked him up – and we made a group on Facebook that amassed 2,000 members. It helped him to realise there is more good people out there than bad.
“Now he is back out with his friends, watching sport, and doing things he enjoys, like gardening. To be honest, if it was me, I would still be in a corner shaking and fearful of going out.
“He has not spoke about it a great deal but his attitude seems to be – ‘I’m not going to let them stop me living my life.’
“He sees them as bullies – but won’t be beaten by them. That seems to be the attitude and the way he has handled everything – on top of the learning difficulties – has been like a proper man. I feel very proud.”
THE Star’s front page story of how Carl Robinson was beaten caused revulsion across St Helens.
It happened at about 2am on Sunday, April 6 and left the former pupil at Lansbury Bridge in Parr, with fractures to his jaw, nose and eye socket. He also had a blood clot to his ear.
Police suspect he was set upon by four of five attackers in a sustained assault that lasted several minutes.
Carl remembers little of the ordeal, other than being struck by a blow from behind as he was walking home along Beaufort Street, Peasley Cross following his mum’s 40th birthday party.
Four youths aged 17, 18, 18, and 19 who were arrested in connection with the assault are currently on police bail as the investigation continues.
Call DC Foster on 0151 777 6881 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 if you have information.
SIA Soliola sent his signed Saints shirt as a gift for Carl after reading the Star’s story.
Carl’s auntie had asked the rugby league squad to sign a card wishing her nephew to get well soon.
But big-hearted Soliola – a fans’ favourite at Langtree Park – went a step further and sent the 19-year-old his playing shirt.
Carl’s mum Marie said: “Sia did this off his own back and Carl was just so made up. I’m going to get a frame for it.”
Soliola himself was the victim of attack in St Helens last year and a nightclub bouncer was subsequently convicted of inflicting GBH.
Comments are closed on this article.