Send us news by text, start your message Star News and your send photos and videos to 80360
EXCLUSIVE: 'Catch the monsters who battered my son with For Sale sign'
A YOUNG man was left with horrific facial injuries after a gang of thugs battered him around the head with a house ‘For Sale’ sign during a savage attack.
Carl Robinson, who has learning difficulties, was set upon in the early hours as he was walking home from a house party where he had been celebrating his mother’s 40th birthday.
In what police are treating as an unprovoked attack, the 19-year-old was punched and kicked to the ground in Beaufort Street, Peasley Cross.
At one stage, an attacker pulled a wooden 'For Sale' sign from the front of a house and struck him with it.
He was discovered lying covered in blood and with facial injuries, after a resident called the police.
Carl, a former pupil at Lansbury Bridge in Parr, was left with fractures to his jaw, nose and eye socket. He also had a blood clot to his ear.
Police suspect he was set upon by four of five attackers in a sustained assault that lasted several minutes.
Speaking to the Star this week, his mother Marie said her son, from Merton Bank, had undergone surgery to have a metal plate inserted in his jaw.
She described the attackers as “monsters” and urged people who may be withholding information about the violence to speak to police.
Marie, a mother-of-three, said: “He was just walking home after we had been at a surprise birthday for me at his granddad’s house. He wasn’t drunk.
“They have seen him, chased him and attacked him. After kicking and battering him repeatedly for several minutes one of the monsters is said to have noticed blood on his shoe and said ‘look what you’ve done, you’ve got blood on my shoe now’ and started kicking him in the face again.
“Luckily someone phoned the police. These lads ran when they heard the sirens...I dread to think what would have happened if the police had not been called. It could easily have cost Carl his life. There is little bruising on his body it is all to the face.
“We need someone to speak to the police.”
Marie has given the Star permission to show the shocking picture of Carl’s injuries as she hopes it will encourage witnesses to come forward.
The attack happened at about 2am on Sunday, April 6.
Four youths on bail as police investigation continues
FOUR arrests were made in the hours after Carl Robinson was attacked – but police this week urged witnesses to come forwards.
Detective Constable Paul Foster from St Helens CID, said: "This was a savage and sustained attack on a young man who was simply walking home from a family party.
“His attackers greatly outnumbered him and he has suffered serious facial injuries during a prolonged assault.
"We do not know why he has been targeted in this way but it is clearly unusual and rare for this level of violence to be used in St Helens.
“We are still trying to establish a motive for this seemingly unprovoked attack and I would urge anyone out there with information that could help us to please get in touch."
Call DC Foster on 0151 777 6881 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Four youths aged 17, 18, 18, and 19 who were arrested in connection with the assault are currently on police bail as the investigation continues.