Send us news by text, start your message Star News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Discarded cigarette sparked house blaze
8:33am Monday 24th September 2012 in News
A BLAZE involving rubbish and a settee spread to part of a house as a result of a carelessly discarded cigarette, fire crews said today.
Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service was called on Sunday, September 23 to West End Road, Haydock.
The fire, which had started in a back garden, had spread to a ground floor extension of a property.
Two women who were inside the property had evacuated before firefighters arrived and were unharmed.
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a hose to extinguish the fire by 11.44am.
In a statement, Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service said: “There were no smoke alarms present at the property. Firefighters conducted a Home Fire Safety Check and fitted two smoke alarms.
“A quantity of rubbish and the settee, which were in the garden, were severely damaged by fire.
"A rear door was severely damaged by fire and a bathroom was severely damaged by heat and smoke.
“The kitchen was mildly damaged by heat and smoke and there was slight smoke damage to the remainder of the ground floor and first floor.”