Send us news by text, start your message Star News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Pensioner suffers burns to face after tin of pudding explodes
A WOMAN in her 80s had to be treated for burns to her face after a tin of pudding exploded in her kitchen.
Firefighters were first at the scene at a house on Belvedere Road in Newton-le-Willows at around 7.51pm last night (Thursday, August 9), following reports of a possible explosion.
The tin of pudding had ruptured, showering the pensioner in hot liquid, after it was overheated. Firefighters treated her with a cooling medical burn shield, before paramedics arrived. She was taken to Warrington Hospital.
Watch Manager Alan Moore, who is based at Newton Fire Station and attended the call out said: “This was a tin of pudding which cooks by putting it in boiling water. The lady forgot it was heating up on the cooker and the water evaporated.
"I think she went to get it out of the pan and the lid exploded. Her face was covered with some of the hot chocolate. She could not see or open her eyes. We used a sheet with gel on, known as a burn shield, to treat her before paramedics arrived. “We always advise that people should never leave cooking unattended.”