Nightmare journey home for Saints fans after Hull defeat

Nightmare journey home for Saints fans after Hull defeat

Nightmare journey home for Saints fans after Hull defeat

First published in News
Last updated
by

IT was a night of woe in more than one sense for Saints fans as they attempted to get home after watching their team slip to defeat against Hull.

It was gone 3am by the time some returned to the town last Saturday morning (August 2) following the game which Saints lost 19-12.

Many voiced their anger over what they said was confusing and unhelpful diversions on the A63 and M62 that had them driving in circles.

One fan posting on the RedVee forum said it was like being in “Hampton Court Maze”.

Fans said that two motorways and the A63 had been closed. It is understood that some gave up trying to negotiate the tortuous traffic and checked into hotels.

Julie Devanney, of Islands Brow, wrote a formal letter to the Highways Agency demanding an apology and an investigation.

She said: “I have no doubt many people were out of pocket last night however this is not about compensation it’s about ensuring the safety and sanity of people travelling on our roads.

“I was concerned for fellow fans travelling alone, those who were old, young or vulnerable.”

She said that diversions added at least an hour on their journeys and led them almost back into Hull.

A spokesman from the Highways Agency said: “'We did carry out some overnight roadworks on routes in and out of Hull on Thursday and Friday of last week for essential maintenance and repairs.

''The work, along the A63 and M62, was some 20 miles apart although we accept that longer distance drivers would have had to take two diversions.

''The Highways Agency plans its work carefully to minimise disruption to drivers which is why we do a lot of our vital maintenance overnight when routes tend to be quieter. The same diversions and signing was in place on Thursday night and we received no complaints but we did get some complaints from rugby fans about the arrangements on Friday night.

''We would like to apologise to anyone who felt unduly inconvenienced on Friday night.

"While we feel the diversion routes were good ones and well-signed too we will look at the arrangements again to see if there is anything more we can do for future work. We are grateful to customers for taking the time raise their concerns.”

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree