THE trial of two men accused of attacking a pub landlord has collapsed.
The jury trying David Llewellyn and Martin Hogarth have been discharged for what was said to be “administrative reasons” and a re-trial is scheduled for Monday, October 20.
Jonathan Shuker landlord of The Junction pub in Sutton was allegedly repeatedly stabbed after telling Llewellyn, who was a customer, that he couldn’t smoke cannabis on the premises.
Court heard how Mr Shuker ran after him to make sure he left and when he saw he had gone he walked back towards the pub.
Gerald Baxter prosecuting said: "But the defendant turned and came back onto the car park towards Mr Shuker and went after him and started to attack him."
Martin Hogarth, 36, is accused of joining in the attack.
Mr Baxter added: "He thought they were punches but then started finding it difficult to breathe. Other people had come out by then and Mr Shuker managed to get back into the public house and realised blood was coming from his face.
"When he took his top off to wipe his face found blood was also coming from his back and side and was taken by ambulance to Fazakerley Hospital.
"It was found he had eight stab wounds to his back, side and head and two further slash wounds and a punctured lung. He was detained in hospital for two days.”
Llewellyn, 28, of no fixed address and Hogarth, of Nutgrove Road, St Helens, both deny wounding with intent on December 13 last year. They also deny a lesser alternative charge of wounding.
A Liverpool Crown Court judge remanded Llewellyn in custody and Hogarth on bail to await their re-trial.