Unemployment drops under 4,000 for first time since 2008

There were 3,825 claimants, making it the fourth successive month a decrease has been shown

There were 3,825 claimants, making it the fourth successive month a decrease has been shown

First published in News by

THERE were further positive signs for the St Helens economy after unemployment figures showed the number of people claiming out-of-work benefits continues to decrease.

Numbers receiving Job Seekers Allowance dropped below 4,000 in June for the first time since October 2008.

There were 3,825 claimants, making it the fourth successive month a decrease has been shown.

And the number of people claiming JSA for longer than 12 months is at its lowest level since April 2012.

However, the area does remain above the national and regional averages in the percentage of working age residents on JSA.

There were 3.4 per cent of residents claiming in the borough last month compared to an average of 2.7 per cent across the north west and 2.4 per cent across the country.

“It’s very positive to see these results in the borough,” said Pauline Devine, director of employment services at St Helens Chamber.

“A lot of the services that the Chamber provides through its Starting Point centre and also as a leading provider of apprenticeships will have contributed to the improved picture we are seeing.”

Figures also suggest that more young people are finding employment with the number of JSA claimants in the 18 to 24 age group at 1,070, the lowest point since December 2007.

And the number of young people claiming JSA for longer than 12 months is down to 220, the lowest figure in over two years.

At the start of the year St Helens Chamber committed itself to providing job opportunities for young people with its ‘365 Jobs Challenge’.

This has already seen more than 200 job and apprenticeship opportunities filled so far in 2014.

However, there are still 7.7 per cent of 18 to 24-year-olds on the benefit, well above the regional average of 4.4 per cent and the national figure of 3.9 per cent.

“It’s great that we have so many jobs on offer but we are finding we have more vacancies than young people at the moment.

“So there is plenty more scope to improve these figures further,” added Pauline.

St Helens Council leader Barrie Grunewald said he was delighted by the figures.

He added: “When I became leader one of the first things I did was to commit funding for private sector apprenticeships delivered by the council’s economic development team and St Helens Chamber.

“These latest figures are more than encouraging and I am committed to significant improvements in the level of educational attainment for young people and addressing youth unemployment.

“It is my intention that every young person should be given every opportunity to gain work.”

Comments (23)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:48am Wed 23 Jul 14

windows says...

Why are the numbers of claimants who have been sanctioned by the DWP not been shown?. Apart from the false employment agency vacancies there is nothing in St Helens.
Why are the numbers of claimants who have been sanctioned by the DWP not been shown?. Apart from the false employment agency vacancies there is nothing in St Helens. windows
  • Score: 8

10:56am Wed 23 Jul 14

Sankey says...

Oh that's bad news for labour devastating in fact
Oh that's bad news for labour devastating in fact Sankey
  • Score: -3

12:17pm Wed 23 Jul 14

sherlock1 says...

Windows your spot on there not only that it's the same agenceys with the same jobs all the time Sankey why is it bad news for Labour?
Windows your spot on there not only that it's the same agenceys with the same jobs all the time Sankey why is it bad news for Labour? sherlock1
  • Score: 6

7:18pm Wed 23 Jul 14

mikeashworth says...

i'm always sceptical about these figures, local, nationally, makes no difference. i would be interested to see the number who've been sanctioned etc. cant get complete picture with just one set of figures.

i bet they cant wait to grab that fracking cash and jobs too!

and imagine this, all this great stuff has happened whislt we have a con-dem government too, no labour govt required to do it. amazing!
i'm always sceptical about these figures, local, nationally, makes no difference. i would be interested to see the number who've been sanctioned etc. cant get complete picture with just one set of figures. i bet they cant wait to grab that fracking cash and jobs too! and imagine this, all this great stuff has happened whislt we have a con-dem government too, no labour govt required to do it. amazing! mikeashworth
  • Score: 6

10:02am Fri 25 Jul 14

keepitreel says...

the figures speak for themselves,output is above that of the 2008 liebore crash,unemployment down,investment up exports up,looks like milliband and balls got it wrong,even the imf has said this country is the most secure of the nations.
why do people go on about sanctions if you do everything you are supposed to do you will not be sanctioned,is that not correct if you cant be bothered to get out of bed to sign on for your benefit ,tough luck.
the figures speak for themselves,output is above that of the 2008 liebore crash,unemployment down,investment up exports up,looks like milliband and balls got it wrong,even the imf has said this country is the most secure of the nations. why do people go on about sanctions if you do everything you are supposed to do you will not be sanctioned,is that not correct if you cant be bothered to get out of bed to sign on for your benefit ,tough luck. keepitreel
  • Score: -6

12:13pm Fri 25 Jul 14

Sankey says...

sherlock1 wrote:
Windows your spot on there not only that it's the same agenceys with the same jobs all the time Sankey why is it bad news for Labour?
They want to claim the coalitions plans are not working and the answer is to go on a borrowing spree and create loads of non jobs in the public sector who will of course vote labour. Unfortunetly for them sound finances generate confidence which an economy relies on.
[quote][p][bold]sherlock1[/bold] wrote: Windows your spot on there not only that it's the same agenceys with the same jobs all the time Sankey why is it bad news for Labour?[/p][/quote]They want to claim the coalitions plans are not working and the answer is to go on a borrowing spree and create loads of non jobs in the public sector who will of course vote labour. Unfortunetly for them sound finances generate confidence which an economy relies on. Sankey
  • Score: -4

1:00pm Fri 25 Jul 14

windows says...

keepitreel wrote:
the figures speak for themselves,output is above that of the 2008 liebore crash,unemployment down,investment up exports up,looks like milliband and balls got it wrong,even the imf has said this country is the most secure of the nations.
why do people go on about sanctions if you do everything you are supposed to do you will not be sanctioned,is that not correct if you cant be bothered to get out of bed to sign on for your benefit ,tough luck.
People go on about sanctions because they'll class these figures as people finding employment, when in fact they are still unemployed but not claiming.
[quote][p][bold]keepitreel[/bold] wrote: the figures speak for themselves,output is above that of the 2008 liebore crash,unemployment down,investment up exports up,looks like milliband and balls got it wrong,even the imf has said this country is the most secure of the nations. why do people go on about sanctions if you do everything you are supposed to do you will not be sanctioned,is that not correct if you cant be bothered to get out of bed to sign on for your benefit ,tough luck.[/p][/quote]People go on about sanctions because they'll class these figures as people finding employment, when in fact they are still unemployed but not claiming. windows
  • Score: 5

11:25pm Fri 25 Jul 14

keepitreel says...

windows wrote:
keepitreel wrote:
the figures speak for themselves,output is above that of the 2008 liebore crash,unemployment down,investment up exports up,looks like milliband and balls got it wrong,even the imf has said this country is the most secure of the nations.
why do people go on about sanctions if you do everything you are supposed to do you will not be sanctioned,is that not correct if you cant be bothered to get out of bed to sign on for your benefit ,tough luck.
People go on about sanctions because they'll class these figures as people finding employment, when in fact they are still unemployed but not claiming.
why do people get sanctioned in the first place.
[quote][p][bold]windows[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]keepitreel[/bold] wrote: the figures speak for themselves,output is above that of the 2008 liebore crash,unemployment down,investment up exports up,looks like milliband and balls got it wrong,even the imf has said this country is the most secure of the nations. why do people go on about sanctions if you do everything you are supposed to do you will not be sanctioned,is that not correct if you cant be bothered to get out of bed to sign on for your benefit ,tough luck.[/p][/quote]People go on about sanctions because they'll class these figures as people finding employment, when in fact they are still unemployed but not claiming.[/p][/quote]why do people get sanctioned in the first place. keepitreel
  • Score: -5

6:48pm Sat 26 Jul 14

The Welfair Foundation says...

keepitreel wrote:
windows wrote:
keepitreel wrote:
the figures speak for themselves,output is above that of the 2008 liebore crash,unemployment down,investment up exports up,looks like milliband and balls got it wrong,even the imf has said this country is the most secure of the nations.
why do people go on about sanctions if you do everything you are supposed to do you will not be sanctioned,is that not correct if you cant be bothered to get out of bed to sign on for your benefit ,tough luck.
People go on about sanctions because they'll class these figures as people finding employment, when in fact they are still unemployed but not claiming.
why do people get sanctioned in the first place.
Because the job centre staff have targets to reach and whistle blowers have come forward to say that their managers encourage them to deliberately trap claimants by changing appointment times without telling claimants who then don't turn up (because they don't know their time has changed) and are therefore sanctioned.

People have been known to get sanctioned for being a couple of minutes late to sign on due to being on a broken down bus!

You can also get sanctioned for applying for the wrong types of jobs or even for applying for too many jobs.

There needs to be a thorough and independent investigation into benefit sanctions!
[quote][p][bold]keepitreel[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]windows[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]keepitreel[/bold] wrote: the figures speak for themselves,output is above that of the 2008 liebore crash,unemployment down,investment up exports up,looks like milliband and balls got it wrong,even the imf has said this country is the most secure of the nations. why do people go on about sanctions if you do everything you are supposed to do you will not be sanctioned,is that not correct if you cant be bothered to get out of bed to sign on for your benefit ,tough luck.[/p][/quote]People go on about sanctions because they'll class these figures as people finding employment, when in fact they are still unemployed but not claiming.[/p][/quote]why do people get sanctioned in the first place.[/p][/quote]Because the job centre staff have targets to reach and whistle blowers have come forward to say that their managers encourage them to deliberately trap claimants by changing appointment times without telling claimants who then don't turn up (because they don't know their time has changed) and are therefore sanctioned. People have been known to get sanctioned for being a couple of minutes late to sign on due to being on a broken down bus! You can also get sanctioned for applying for the wrong types of jobs or even for applying for too many jobs. There needs to be a thorough and independent investigation into benefit sanctions! The Welfair Foundation
  • Score: 4

12:56pm Mon 28 Jul 14

Bill Bradbury says...

They get sanctioned because they refuse to "Job seek" making all sorts of excuses the most common is what "Welfare Foundation" quotes that times are changed which is not true. Surprising how with the work-shy the Post never arrives or is late or even question the time thy were given to report or even they turn up whenever they feel like it usually when the money runs out. Some turn up with children in tow from their girlfriend or acquaintance which naturally will prevent them from "Job Seeking". The late bus is a common excuse. Get an earlier bus!

Yes can be sanctioned for applying for the wrong type of job which they know full well they are not qualified but claim then they are "Job Seeking". Sanctioning is not down to the person at the desk but goes to a panel to adjudicate if fair or not.
Under the new Universal Credit system they will be given a months money on which they will have to mange and pay bills. Some hope!!
They get sanctioned because they refuse to "Job seek" making all sorts of excuses the most common is what "Welfare Foundation" quotes that times are changed which is not true. Surprising how with the work-shy the Post never arrives or is late or even question the time thy were given to report or even they turn up whenever they feel like it usually when the money runs out. Some turn up with children in tow from their girlfriend or acquaintance which naturally will prevent them from "Job Seeking". The late bus is a common excuse. Get an earlier bus! Yes can be sanctioned for applying for the wrong type of job which they know full well they are not qualified but claim then they are "Job Seeking". Sanctioning is not down to the person at the desk but goes to a panel to adjudicate if fair or not. Under the new Universal Credit system they will be given a months money on which they will have to mange and pay bills. Some hope!! Bill Bradbury
  • Score: 1

2:36pm Mon 28 Jul 14

keepitreel says...

The Welfair Foundation wrote:
keepitreel wrote:
windows wrote:
keepitreel wrote:
the figures speak for themselves,output is above that of the 2008 liebore crash,unemployment down,investment up exports up,looks like milliband and balls got it wrong,even the imf has said this country is the most secure of the nations.
why do people go on about sanctions if you do everything you are supposed to do you will not be sanctioned,is that not correct if you cant be bothered to get out of bed to sign on for your benefit ,tough luck.
People go on about sanctions because they'll class these figures as people finding employment, when in fact they are still unemployed but not claiming.
why do people get sanctioned in the first place.
Because the job centre staff have targets to reach and whistle blowers have come forward to say that their managers encourage them to deliberately trap claimants by changing appointment times without telling claimants who then don't turn up (because they don't know their time has changed) and are therefore sanctioned.

People have been known to get sanctioned for being a couple of minutes late to sign on due to being on a broken down bus!

You can also get sanctioned for applying for the wrong types of jobs or even for applying for too many jobs.

There needs to be a thorough and independent investigation into benefit sanctions!
are you telling me there is a conspiracy to stop paying people the money they are claiming,were is your proof that app are changed without notification,and i dont believe that buses break down on a daily basis and everyone on said bus is going to sign on,they should be there for 9 am and stay till 5 pm 5 days a week,learning a skill or trade in some cases reading a writing would help them,and a 3 strike and your out option put in place,no one should expect money for just staying at home or working on the side as well as claiming.
[quote][p][bold]The Welfair Foundation[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]keepitreel[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]windows[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]keepitreel[/bold] wrote: the figures speak for themselves,output is above that of the 2008 liebore crash,unemployment down,investment up exports up,looks like milliband and balls got it wrong,even the imf has said this country is the most secure of the nations. why do people go on about sanctions if you do everything you are supposed to do you will not be sanctioned,is that not correct if you cant be bothered to get out of bed to sign on for your benefit ,tough luck.[/p][/quote]People go on about sanctions because they'll class these figures as people finding employment, when in fact they are still unemployed but not claiming.[/p][/quote]why do people get sanctioned in the first place.[/p][/quote]Because the job centre staff have targets to reach and whistle blowers have come forward to say that their managers encourage them to deliberately trap claimants by changing appointment times without telling claimants who then don't turn up (because they don't know their time has changed) and are therefore sanctioned. People have been known to get sanctioned for being a couple of minutes late to sign on due to being on a broken down bus! You can also get sanctioned for applying for the wrong types of jobs or even for applying for too many jobs. There needs to be a thorough and independent investigation into benefit sanctions![/p][/quote]are you telling me there is a conspiracy to stop paying people the money they are claiming,were is your proof that app are changed without notification,and i dont believe that buses break down on a daily basis and everyone on said bus is going to sign on,they should be there for 9 am and stay till 5 pm 5 days a week,learning a skill or trade in some cases reading a writing would help them,and a 3 strike and your out option put in place,no one should expect money for just staying at home or working on the side as well as claiming. keepitreel
  • Score: -3

11:01am Tue 29 Jul 14

Sankey says...

Bill Bradbury wrote:
They get sanctioned because they refuse to "Job seek" making all sorts of excuses the most common is what "Welfare Foundation" quotes that times are changed which is not true. Surprising how with the work-shy the Post never arrives or is late or even question the time thy were given to report or even they turn up whenever they feel like it usually when the money runs out. Some turn up with children in tow from their girlfriend or acquaintance which naturally will prevent them from "Job Seeking". The late bus is a common excuse. Get an earlier bus!

Yes can be sanctioned for applying for the wrong type of job which they know full well they are not qualified but claim then they are "Job Seeking". Sanctioning is not down to the person at the desk but goes to a panel to adjudicate if fair or not.
Under the new Universal Credit system they will be given a months money on which they will have to mange and pay bills. Some hope!!
Bill has someone hacked your account ?

Does not sound like you what about hurting the vulnerable etc. etc. etc.

But I agree and as I recall your daughter works for the DWP so you will know the scams
[quote][p][bold]Bill Bradbury[/bold] wrote: They get sanctioned because they refuse to "Job seek" making all sorts of excuses the most common is what "Welfare Foundation" quotes that times are changed which is not true. Surprising how with the work-shy the Post never arrives or is late or even question the time thy were given to report or even they turn up whenever they feel like it usually when the money runs out. Some turn up with children in tow from their girlfriend or acquaintance which naturally will prevent them from "Job Seeking". The late bus is a common excuse. Get an earlier bus! Yes can be sanctioned for applying for the wrong type of job which they know full well they are not qualified but claim then they are "Job Seeking". Sanctioning is not down to the person at the desk but goes to a panel to adjudicate if fair or not. Under the new Universal Credit system they will be given a months money on which they will have to mange and pay bills. Some hope!![/p][/quote]Bill has someone hacked your account ? Does not sound like you what about hurting the vulnerable etc. etc. etc. But I agree and as I recall your daughter works for the DWP so you will know the scams Sankey
  • Score: 1

11:35am Tue 29 Jul 14

The Welfair Foundation says...

2 minutes on Google will give you all the information you need. Job Centre staff are routinely 'reviewed' and given warnings if they do not sanction enough people. Whistleblowers have come forward and produced internal memos showing that managers intentionally set claimants up to be sanctioned so that they can hit their DWP targets.

A leaked internal memo from the Malvern Job Centre states: ""We are now into the new sanctions regime … and we are currently one of the worst performing offices with sanction benefit referrals and unless we improve we will put under special measures."

If you don't sanction enough then you get placed into special measures!

Sanctions have risen by ridiculous numbers, for example sanctions against disabled claimants rose 65%. Sanctions against women rose 76%. Sanctions against lone parents rose a staggering 563%!!

Do you really believe that there has suddenly been a massive outbreak of laziness?

Wake up people!
2 minutes on Google will give you all the information you need. Job Centre staff are routinely 'reviewed' and given warnings if they do not sanction enough people. Whistleblowers have come forward and produced internal memos showing that managers intentionally set claimants up to be sanctioned so that they can hit their DWP targets. A leaked internal memo from the Malvern Job Centre states: ""We are now into the new sanctions regime … and we are currently one of the worst performing offices with sanction benefit referrals and unless we improve we will put under special measures." If you don't sanction enough then you get placed into special measures! Sanctions have risen by ridiculous numbers, for example sanctions against disabled claimants rose 65%. Sanctions against women rose 76%. Sanctions against lone parents rose a staggering 563%!! Do you really believe that there has suddenly been a massive outbreak of laziness? Wake up people! The Welfair Foundation
  • Score: 1

11:37am Tue 29 Jul 14

The Welfair Foundation says...

And Bill, you saying my comments are not true is simply wrong! Everything I have said is fact. We are a national anti-poverty charity, Bill, not politicians...we have no need to lie!
And Bill, you saying my comments are not true is simply wrong! Everything I have said is fact. We are a national anti-poverty charity, Bill, not politicians...we have no need to lie! The Welfair Foundation
  • Score: 1

1:08pm Tue 29 Jul 14

keepitreel says...

The Welfair Foundation wrote:
2 minutes on Google will give you all the information you need. Job Centre staff are routinely 'reviewed' and given warnings if they do not sanction enough people. Whistleblowers have come forward and produced internal memos showing that managers intentionally set claimants up to be sanctioned so that they can hit their DWP targets.

A leaked internal memo from the Malvern Job Centre states: ""We are now into the new sanctions regime … and we are currently one of the worst performing offices with sanction benefit referrals and unless we improve we will put under special measures."

If you don't sanction enough then you get placed into special measures!

Sanctions have risen by ridiculous numbers, for example sanctions against disabled claimants rose 65%. Sanctions against women rose 76%. Sanctions against lone parents rose a staggering 563%!!

Do you really believe that there has suddenly been a massive outbreak of laziness?

Wake up people!
you could look at the stats another way ,how many people were getting away with scamming the system and now because of tougher regime they cant any more,as for being a anti-poverty charity sounds like a left wing anti tory set up,do you think it is ok to give money to those who dont deserve it or cant be bothered to look for a job,and what about going to a place to learn from 9-5 every day to get your benefit,do you agree on this.
[quote][p][bold]The Welfair Foundation[/bold] wrote: 2 minutes on Google will give you all the information you need. Job Centre staff are routinely 'reviewed' and given warnings if they do not sanction enough people. Whistleblowers have come forward and produced internal memos showing that managers intentionally set claimants up to be sanctioned so that they can hit their DWP targets. A leaked internal memo from the Malvern Job Centre states: ""We are now into the new sanctions regime … and we are currently one of the worst performing offices with sanction benefit referrals and unless we improve we will put under special measures." If you don't sanction enough then you get placed into special measures! Sanctions have risen by ridiculous numbers, for example sanctions against disabled claimants rose 65%. Sanctions against women rose 76%. Sanctions against lone parents rose a staggering 563%!! Do you really believe that there has suddenly been a massive outbreak of laziness? Wake up people![/p][/quote]you could look at the stats another way ,how many people were getting away with scamming the system and now because of tougher regime they cant any more,as for being a anti-poverty charity sounds like a left wing anti tory set up,do you think it is ok to give money to those who dont deserve it or cant be bothered to look for a job,and what about going to a place to learn from 9-5 every day to get your benefit,do you agree on this. keepitreel
  • Score: -1

1:23pm Tue 29 Jul 14

The Welfair Foundation says...

Left wing anti-tory set up? Nope, Labour were just as bad when they were in power and no doubt if they win the next election they will continue to be just as bad as the tories!

When you say "Don't deserve it" Who do you mean? Do you mean the people who are genuinely desperate for a job and tarred with the same brush as the tiny minority who do fiddle the system?

Do you realise that just 2.6% of the entire benefits budget goes on unemployment benefits? The vast majority goes to pensioners. The second largest group of claimants are actually in work and in need of benefits such as housing benefit and working tax credit to top up their low pay.

I'm completely in favour of learning 9-5 to get training and qualifications but the government are slashing the funding for this, too!

There is around 2.5 million unemployed but only 500,000 vacancies. If every vacancy was filled tomorrow there would still be 2 million people unemployed. It is tough out there and people really are trying but please don't label everyone a scrounger just because of a minority of scammers.
Left wing anti-tory set up? Nope, Labour were just as bad when they were in power and no doubt if they win the next election they will continue to be just as bad as the tories! When you say "Don't deserve it" Who do you mean? Do you mean the people who are genuinely desperate for a job and tarred with the same brush as the tiny minority who do fiddle the system? Do you realise that just 2.6% of the entire benefits budget goes on unemployment benefits? The vast majority goes to pensioners. The second largest group of claimants are actually in work and in need of benefits such as housing benefit and working tax credit to top up their low pay. I'm completely in favour of learning 9-5 to get training and qualifications but the government are slashing the funding for this, too! There is around 2.5 million unemployed but only 500,000 vacancies. If every vacancy was filled tomorrow there would still be 2 million people unemployed. It is tough out there and people really are trying but please don't label everyone a scrounger just because of a minority of scammers. The Welfair Foundation
  • Score: 2

3:31pm Tue 29 Jul 14

Bill Bradbury says...

The Welfair Foundation wrote:
And Bill, you saying my comments are not true is simply wrong! Everything I have said is fact. We are a national anti-poverty charity, Bill, not politicians...we have no need to lie!
Carry on the good work. What I wrote is true. Could say a lot more. Yes many are genuine job seekers and some are really desperate cases but there are many that are abusing the system using a myriad of excuses and have never had a job for decades but rely on benefits and some, to be blunt, are unemployable due to their attitude and lack of basic skills which all at the DWP try their best to assist with education to address these issues.

As Sankey writes my daughter is at the very sharp end of this facing often daily abuse and excuses but they are clients which she tries to help. Some, and I repeat some, refuse to do anything to help citing they have no access to a computer (they do-library) can't write, (they sign their agreement form) can't read (they are asked if they can read their agreement). Again support is there at College if they can access it.

On the positive many do find work due to the help from the DWP who are not there to Sanction as many as they can. My daughter would take offence at that and to her knowledge there are no "targets" except of her own work performance which all employees are under.

Yes and I do know with my Socialist hat on many jobs are very low paid on short term contracts/zero hours and there are many genuine people needing help which I am sure your foundation does its best.
[quote][p][bold]The Welfair Foundation[/bold] wrote: And Bill, you saying my comments are not true is simply wrong! Everything I have said is fact. We are a national anti-poverty charity, Bill, not politicians...we have no need to lie![/p][/quote]Carry on the good work. What I wrote is true. Could say a lot more. Yes many are genuine job seekers and some are really desperate cases but there are many that are abusing the system using a myriad of excuses and have never had a job for decades but rely on benefits and some, to be blunt, are unemployable due to their attitude and lack of basic skills which all at the DWP try their best to assist with education to address these issues. As Sankey writes my daughter is at the very sharp end of this facing often daily abuse and excuses but they are clients which she tries to help. Some, and I repeat some, refuse to do anything to help citing they have no access to a computer (they do-library) can't write, (they sign their agreement form) can't read (they are asked if they can read their agreement). Again support is there at College if they can access it. On the positive many do find work due to the help from the DWP who are not there to Sanction as many as they can. My daughter would take offence at that and to her knowledge there are no "targets" except of her own work performance which all employees are under. Yes and I do know with my Socialist hat on many jobs are very low paid on short term contracts/zero hours and there are many genuine people needing help which I am sure your foundation does its best. Bill Bradbury
  • Score: 0

3:46pm Tue 29 Jul 14

The Welfair Foundation says...

Bill, I agree with most of what you write on this site but this is one area I cannot agree with you on. What you are doing is tarring ALL jobseekers with the same brush because of the tiny minority work-shy scroungers that we all know do exist.

No-one denies that there are those who simply have no intention of ever working and try to scam as much money out of society as they can for as little effort as possible. But they are the tiny minority.

Your daughter says that there are no targets but what about those Jobcentre staff that have have come forward with written proof in the form of internal memos? The DWP have admitted that the memos are genuine but deny that they are official policy.

We do try our best to help people living in real poverty but we struggle more than anything to fight the tide of public opinion that has been shaped by successive governments and media that all benefit claimants are scroungers and on the fiddle.

Like I said earlier, only 2.6% of the welfare budget goes on unemployment benefits and out of that 2.6% only a fraction are scammers and scroungers. DWP states that fraud and error within the benefit system is 0.7%...A drop in the ocean when you consider the fact that Sir Thomas Legg found that 51.7% of current and former MPs wrongly claimed expenses that they were not entitled to.

When fraud in Parliament is 74 times greater than it is amongst the poorest people in the country then surely it is Parliament that needs to be reformed...not welfare!
Bill, I agree with most of what you write on this site but this is one area I cannot agree with you on. What you are doing is tarring ALL jobseekers with the same brush because of the tiny minority work-shy scroungers that we all know do exist. No-one denies that there are those who simply have no intention of ever working and try to scam as much money out of society as they can for as little effort as possible. But they are the tiny minority. Your daughter says that there are no targets but what about those Jobcentre staff that have have come forward with written proof in the form of internal memos? The DWP have admitted that the memos are genuine but deny that they are official policy. We do try our best to help people living in real poverty but we struggle more than anything to fight the tide of public opinion that has been shaped by successive governments and media that all benefit claimants are scroungers and on the fiddle. Like I said earlier, only 2.6% of the welfare budget goes on unemployment benefits and out of that 2.6% only a fraction are scammers and scroungers. DWP states that fraud and error within the benefit system is 0.7%...A drop in the ocean when you consider the fact that Sir Thomas Legg found that 51.7% of current and former MPs wrongly claimed expenses that they were not entitled to. When fraud in Parliament is 74 times greater than it is amongst the poorest people in the country then surely it is Parliament that needs to be reformed...not welfare! The Welfair Foundation
  • Score: 1

5:42pm Tue 29 Jul 14

Bill Bradbury says...

Wearing my socialist hat your comments are correct. From where your whistle blowers come from I don't know especially the policies of the DWP in other areas. All I can say as far as I know it does not happen here and if you read my comment carefully I do not tar all job seekers with those who are workshy. I wrote the opposite. i.e. "genuine job seekers".
All as I can say is my daughter takes her job seriously and together with her colleagues tries her best to find work for those who want it. She also does not disclose confidential information but in her conversations to me it shows she cares very much for those who are desperate for work.
Wearing my socialist hat your comments are correct. From where your whistle blowers come from I don't know especially the policies of the DWP in other areas. All I can say as far as I know it does not happen here and if you read my comment carefully I do not tar all job seekers with those who are workshy. I wrote the opposite. i.e. "genuine job seekers". All as I can say is my daughter takes her job seriously and together with her colleagues tries her best to find work for those who want it. She also does not disclose confidential information but in her conversations to me it shows she cares very much for those who are desperate for work. Bill Bradbury
  • Score: 1

7:32pm Tue 29 Jul 14

Sankey says...

Where is the evidence the people scamming the system are a tiny majority that's not my experience albeit just observational rather than statistical and I do have first hand experience of being unemployed and there are people (as bill said) who frankly are unemployable and institutionalised through welfare which for some is what they have done since leaving school we see this all around us in our communities in the middle of the day. Welfarism is not kind it's evil by all means help those back into employment but not encouraging a life on benefits. The Labour Party after 2010 had a strategy of attacking the Tories over reforming welfare until their focus groups found out that the people most against welfare were the working class labour supporters people who dragged themselves to work at 8am to see their able bodied neighbours curtains drawn (the tiny minority) and labour soon changed tack. All political parties and most people are United against institutional welfare the something for nothing paid for by others not the fair hand up and help which welfare was set up for.
Where is the evidence the people scamming the system are a tiny majority that's not my experience albeit just observational rather than statistical and I do have first hand experience of being unemployed and there are people (as bill said) who frankly are unemployable and institutionalised through welfare which for some is what they have done since leaving school we see this all around us in our communities in the middle of the day. Welfarism is not kind it's evil by all means help those back into employment but not encouraging a life on benefits. The Labour Party after 2010 had a strategy of attacking the Tories over reforming welfare until their focus groups found out that the people most against welfare were the working class labour supporters people who dragged themselves to work at 8am to see their able bodied neighbours curtains drawn (the tiny minority) and labour soon changed tack. All political parties and most people are United against institutional welfare the something for nothing paid for by others not the fair hand up and help which welfare was set up for. Sankey
  • Score: -1

10:28pm Tue 29 Jul 14

Bill Bradbury says...

Sankey as the original Labour concept was "something for something". Unfortunately many thought it was a meal ticket for life.
Sankey as the original Labour concept was "something for something". Unfortunately many thought it was a meal ticket for life. Bill Bradbury
  • Score: 2

11:32pm Tue 29 Jul 14

Sankey says...

Bill Bradbury wrote:
Sankey as the original Labour concept was "something for something". Unfortunately many thought it was a meal ticket for life.
I had a look on google to see if I could find the Welfair foundation I could not find anything. I am curious to understand which people would give to a charity that supports the benefits culture which has inflicted such misery on generations of British people. Quite apart from the poverty and social disorder what a life it is never to achieve anything or have the pride of providing for yourself.
[quote][p][bold]Bill Bradbury[/bold] wrote: Sankey as the original Labour concept was "something for something". Unfortunately many thought it was a meal ticket for life.[/p][/quote]I had a look on google to see if I could find the Welfair foundation I could not find anything. I am curious to understand which people would give to a charity that supports the benefits culture which has inflicted such misery on generations of British people. Quite apart from the poverty and social disorder what a life it is never to achieve anything or have the pride of providing for yourself. Sankey
  • Score: -2

12:10pm Wed 30 Jul 14

The Welfair Foundation says...

We do not support "the benefits culture", we support a safety net for people that genuinely need it!

Are you seriously suggesting that out of the 2.5 million that are unemployed, the majority of them are swinging the lead, Sankey?

Of course there are scammers out there who have no intention of ever working and are completely unemployable. THEY are people that we could never support and condemn them and their attitude completely.

We support the people that are seriously ill but are found fit for work by Atos and told that they must seek employment. We support people that have worked hard all their lives and suddenly find themselves out of work and unable to find another job.

We support people that work **** hard in minimum wage jobs but have to claim benefits because their wages just aren't enough to live on.

All of the above are the real benefit claimants.

As I was saying earlier, over 50% of the benefits budget goes on pensioners. The next biggest group of claimants are in work and they account for over 20% of the benefits budget.

Just 2.6% of the welfare bill goes to the unemployed so when you say we support benefit claimants then I can proudly say yes, we do. We support the MAJORITY of benefit claimants who are pensioners, disabled claimants and hard working families in low-paid jobs and those genuine jobseekers out there who are desperate for work!
We do not support "the benefits culture", we support a safety net for people that genuinely need it! Are you seriously suggesting that out of the 2.5 million that are unemployed, the majority of them are swinging the lead, Sankey? Of course there are scammers out there who have no intention of ever working and are completely unemployable. THEY are people that we could never support and condemn them and their attitude completely. We support the people that are seriously ill but are found fit for work by Atos and told that they must seek employment. We support people that have worked hard all their lives and suddenly find themselves out of work and unable to find another job. We support people that work **** hard in minimum wage jobs but have to claim benefits because their wages just aren't enough to live on. All of the above are the real benefit claimants. As I was saying earlier, over 50% of the benefits budget goes on pensioners. The next biggest group of claimants are in work and they account for over 20% of the benefits budget. Just 2.6% of the welfare bill goes to the unemployed so when you say we support benefit claimants then I can proudly say yes, we do. We support the MAJORITY of benefit claimants who are pensioners, disabled claimants and hard working families in low-paid jobs and those genuine jobseekers out there who are desperate for work! The Welfair Foundation
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree