Send us news by text, start your message Star News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Firefighters fly to the rescue of parrot stuck in a house fire
10:52am Thursday 26th June 2014 in News
A PARROT had to be rescued by firefighters after a fire broke out in the kitchen of a house after an electrical socket burst into flames.
No one was in the property on Speakman Road in Dentons Green just after 9.30am on Monday (June 23).
The fire had spread to kitchen units, a tumble dryer and washing machine causing severe damage. Part of the property next door also had slight smoke damage but no one was injured.
Watch Manager Mike Costello, who attended the call-out with Blue Watch at Eccleston Community Fire Station said: "On arrival firefighters rapidly deployed into the property to tackle the fire and stop it spreading. This fire had the potential to spread to other properties and it was only the quick work by firefighters that stopped the fire damaging a larger area.
"The property where the fire started had a working smoke alarm which activated and no-one was inside the property when we arrived. We advise people have working smoke alarms on each level of their home and they test them each week by pressing the test button. If you discover a fire, get out, stay out and call 999.
"We also advise people have an escape route planned in their home and everyone who is in the property knows the escape route in case a fire does start.
"We also brought a parrot to safety from the property. It was really thick smoke in the property and the parrot was luckily in a room which had the door closed, preventing fire and smoke getting to it. We urge people to close doors in the property before they go to bed and when they go out."
Two crews from Eccleston and St Helens were at the scene for almost four hours. They also carried out a number of home fire safety checks in the area.
For free fire safety advice or to request a home fire safety check contact 0800 7315958 or go to merseyfire.gov.uk
Comments are closed on this article.