Elderly woman rescued from bungalow blaze

Firefighters burst inside the bungalow to find the pensioner

Firefighters burst inside the bungalow to find the pensioner

First published in News

FIREFIGHTERS rescued an elderly woman from a house fire last night.

Crews were called to Crow Lane West, Earlestown, yesterday evening after a chip pan fire had left smoke billowing out of the front door.

After neighbours raised the alarm firefighters burst inside the bungalow to find the pensioner and carried her to safety.

She was given oxygen before paramedics arrived.

Watch Manager George Jennings, who attended the call-out with firefighters Newton-le-Willows Community Fire Station, said: “The premises were heavily smoke-logged and the elderly woman was disorientated by the smoke and still inside the property.

"The firefighters from Newton-le-Willows were first on scene and due to their rapid actions they completed a successful rescue and saved the premises from further fire damage.

“We train every week to ensure we can respond quickly and make a difference in situations such as this.

"Smoke alarms alerted neighbours to the fire who contacted the fire and rescue service.

“We advise cooking is never left unattended, even for a moment, and we urge people to have working smoke alarms on each level of their home.”

The fire broke out at about 5.50pm on Wednesday. The bungalow was severely damaged by smoke.

 

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree