Send us news by text, start your message Star News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Update: Firefighters say chemical leak poses no danger to the public
THE fire service says that the acid in the chemical drum is under control and the public is in no danger following the incident in Sutton earlier this morning.
Tests are ongoing to determine the exact nature of the substance but no one has been evacuated and no safety measures have been put in place.
ROBINS Lane has been closed after steam was seen pouring out of a chemical drum at the side of the road.
Firefighters were called at 7.41am to discover a five gallon drum lying in the gutter.
A safety cordon has been put in place and firefighters wearing gas suits are carrying out an inspection.
They also placed special mats over drains near the drum to prevent any of the substance entering the drain.
Specialist fire officers are on scene to identify the substance.
Two fire appliances are at Robins Lane close to Ellen Street along with the Incident Management Team.
A council spokesman said that no schools have been closed.
Comments are closed on this article.