Fire crews: Blaze at Sadlers Lane, Eccleston 'could have been much more serious'

The house did not have smoke alarms

The house did not have smoke alarms

First published in News

RESIDENTS are urged to ensure they have smoke alarms fitted after firefighters were called to a blaze at a house in Eccleston.

It broke out at Sadlers Lane in Eccleston at around 2.20pm today.

The fire is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault in a wall light.

It spread to a book case and caused severe fire damage to the lounge. There was also smoke damage to the remainder of the property.

The occupants were not home at the time and were no smoke alarms present in the property.

Watch Manager Mike Costello, of Eccleston Community Fire Station, said: "There were no working smoke alarms in the house at the time. If the property had been occupied it could have been a much more serious incident.

"We completed a Home Fire Safety Check and fitted smoke alarms. Smoke alarms give an early warning of a fire.

"We advise that everybody has a smoke alarm fitted on each floor of their property and that they test them every week."

For free fire safety advice call 0800 731 5958.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree