Send us news by text, start your message Star News and your send photos and videos to 80360
House fire sparks smoke alarm safety bid
3:54pm Monday 2nd December 2013 in News
FIRE crews launched a safety awareness drive after a man was rescued from a fire that had been sparked by an electric fan heater.
He was rescued a man from the lounge of the property in Borough Road, St Helens, on November 23 where there were no working smoke alarms.
The man was handed into the care of paramedics at the scene and was given oxygen after suffering severe smoke inhalation.
A campaign that followed saw safety leaflets delivered to more than 100 homes in and around the area of Borough Road.
Home fire safety checks were delivered at 47 homes.
Chris Case, district manager for fire and rescue service in St Helens, said: “The property where the man was rescued by firefighters when the fire started had no working smoke alarms.
“We want to highlight safety messages and stress the importance of people having working smoke alarms during our campaign.
“As temperatures drop and winter sets in we ask people to also make checks of their electrical items, including portable heaters, and look for frayed wiring or any faults before they use the items.”
Comments are closed on this article.