Send us news by text, start your message Star News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Further turmoil over Super League restructure
4:49pm Wednesday 23rd October 2013 in News
SUPER LEAGUE’s inner turmoil took a fresh twist today after it was claimed six clubs walked out of a meeting where the potential restructuring of the game was under discussion.
In a statement Super League (Europe) said talks were suspended today without resolution after six clubs left proceedings.
It added that officials from Catalan Dragons, Huddersfield Giants, Hull FC, Hull Kingston Rovers, Warrington Wolves and Wigan Warriors walked out of the meeting, meaning no vote could be taken.
Super League said eight clubs had indicated their support for proposals to reduce the number of clubs in Super League from 14 to 12 from the 2015 season.
However, it added that the other “six clubs blocked a decision on the format of Super League from 2015 on the basis that any debate on change should only take place alongside a review of the competition’s commercial management and governance”.
Saints were represented at the meeting and sources say they were one of the eight indicating support for the reduction in teams, although the club has yet to make a formal statement on their position.
Super League (Europe) chairman Brian Barwick said: “It is very disappointing that we were unable to take a vote on such important issues because some clubs chose to leave the room and refuse to participate further.
“In many ways this form of action is unprecedented. These proposals would have had a positive impact on the whole sport but they were halted by a minority of clubs.
“Clearly some of the clubs have deep-rooted issues and between us we have to find a way of resolving our differences for the benefit of both Super League and the wider game.
“It is my view that this was a very unsatisfactory way for the six clubs to demonstrate their frustration.”
Earlier this month, a scheduled emergency general meeting focusing on the re-structuring proposals was postponed.