Send us news by text, start your message Star News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Mother of tragic Colin Hankin donates life-saving equipment to Rainford High
5:10pm Thursday 17th October 2013 in News
A MOTHER of a young man who died suddenly in his sleep has marked what would have been his 31st birthday by presenting lifesaving equipment to help school children.
Since the death of former Brook Lodge pupil Colin Hankin two days after he turned 18, his mum Angela has been raising money to buy defibrillators for schools and organisations.
The 53-year-old, who is now the north west co-ordinator for the charity Sudden Adult Death Syndrome (SADS), presented the defibrillator to Rainford High School.
Family member James Wright, 11, who attends the school, has completed four sponsored fun runs for SADS.
Angela from Warrington said: “I am delighted to be able to donate a defibrillator to Rainford High in memory of Colin. It seems very poignant to be doing so this week as it’s his birthday.
“I believe all schools and colleges should have this lifesaving equipment in place to save lives.
“It’s good to know that if a sudden cardiac arrest occurs the school will have a defibrillator quickly available to restart the heart.
“If CPR is used it gives a person a five per cent chance of survival but coupled with using the defibrillator it increases the chance of survival to more than 50 per cent.
“This is why SADS UK and our members are so passionate about putting this equipment in place.”
For further information contact SADS on 01277 811215, email email@example.com or visit sadsuk.org.
Comments are closed on this article.