Send us news by text, start your message Star News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Ditch those chip pans: Fire crews hand out deep fat fryers to residents
10:00am Friday 11th October 2013 in News
DEEP fat fryers were handed out to households, as part of a fire safety week’s chip pan amnesty, which aims to douse the numbers of cooking-related fires.
It follows the release of figures showing there were 351 kitchen fires between January 1, 2010, and September 16 this year across St Helens.
More than 300 were cooking-related, with many caused by chip pans.
Some of the blazes break out when people start cooking after drinking alcohol.
Chris Case, Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service district manager for St Helens, said kitchen fires are gradually decreasing, but added: “There have still been more than 50 cooking-related fires each year since the start of 2010, including 52 between January 1 and September 16 this year.
“Among the cooking-related fires have been ones involving chip pans, as well. We advise that people use deep fat fryers instead of chip pans, as it is a safer means of cooking.
“If a chip pan fire does occur, people must not put water onto the fire, as this can result in a sudden and intense outburst of flame and heat that can cause an injury.
“We also advise that cooking is never left unattended, even for a moment, and that people have working smoke alarms on each level of their home.”
Other key messages of the safety week involved urging people to test their smoke alarms regularly and not to cook after drinking alcohol.
Eight schools were also visited to promote fire safety messages among pupils.
Residents, meanwhile, were also advised to have their chimneys swept before the winter sets in.
Mr Case added: “Each year in Merseyside we see call-outs to chimney fires caused by a build up of combustible materials.
“Getting your chimney swept will reduce the chances of a fire starting in your home.”
For free fire safety advice, call 0800 731 5958.
Comments are closed on this article.