Send us news by text, start your message Star News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Teen heroes' fire rescue on Beacon Grove in Blackbrook
THREE courageous friends braved thick smoke as they smashed their way into a burning flat to rescue two men.
Callum Chadwick, Ethan Chisnall and Josh Jump sprang into action after hearing a “horrible” scream and seeing smoke billowing from a lower floor window after a chip pan caught fire on Beacon Grove in Blackbrook.
Josh, 14, who suffers from asthma, draped a sheet across his nose and mouth as they kicked in a door panel to get inside the flat.
They rescued one man and dragged him out before, remarkably, going back inside after realising another man was still in there.
The three friends had been sleeping at Callum’s house, which is on the other side of the cul-de-sac, when they heard an alarm going off.
Ethan, 13, a pupil at St Augustine’s High School, said: “The window was open and smoke was pouring out. We could hear screaming for help; it was horrible.
“Then I rang the fire brigade.”
Cowley pupil Josh, who lives in the town centre, found one man in the living room, but after clambering through the small hole to get inside they realised there was no escape route to pull the stricken man through.
He said: “I grabbed the man, but he couldn’t get out so we had to batter the whole front door down to get out.
“We were sat outside for five minutes and asked if anyone else was inside.
After a few minutes he said that there was someone in bed.”
The three went back in to search for the other man and found him inside.
Josh added: “I pulled him out of bed and had to restrain him. All three of us then grabbed him and dragged him outside. Then the fire brigade turned up.”
Ethan, who is from Sutton and also a Cowley pupil, said: “Josh was ok, but he was coughing all night. In the end what we did was a natural reaction. We thought it was an old woman was trapped in there.”
All three said they were proud of what they did, with Josh adding: “Because it was three young lads, some people may not believe us. But we did it and would do it again.”
A spokesperson from the fire service said they have launched a safety awareness campaign in the area following the incident.
The fire caused some smoke damage to the kitchen.
Firefighters returned to the estate the next day to carry out 17 home fire safety checks.