Arobieke still banned from St Helens - but sex offences prevention order faces court review (From St Helens Star)
Send us news by text, start your message Star News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Akinwale Arobieke still banned from St Helens - but sex offences prevention order faces court review
12:00pm Thursday 15th August 2013 in News
POLICE have confirmed a man will remain barred from entering St Helens despite being cleared of breaching an unusual court order that bans him from touching people’s muscles.
Akinwale Arobieke served three years in prison for 15 harassment offences following a 2003 court case in which many of the victims were young sportsmen from the town.
On his release from prison he was made the subject a sexual offences prevention order (SOPO), which banned him from touching muscles or getting people to carry out squats in public.
‘Aki’, who has been jailed previously for breaches of the order, went on trial this month accused of feeling a boy’s muscles in Bolton and targeting bodybuilders in Manchester.
The 52-year-old, formerly of Devonshire Road, Toxteth, represented himself through a week-long trial at Manchester Crown Court where he was charged with eight allegations that he breached the order.
He was cleared unanimously by a jury within an hour of deliberations.
Arobieke had claimed that the witnesses were either mistaken or lying and the case against him was the result of a “witch hunt” by police. The jury was also told that Arobieke has never been convicted of any sexual offence.
Despite Arobieke being cleared, the order, which bans him from entering St Helens, remains in place, said a Merseyside Police spokeswoman.
However, the force confirmed the SOPO is to be reviewed by Liverpool City Magistrates’ Court in early September.