A FORMER nightspot where the Beatles famously once played could be resurrected as a new cafe bar.
The Oxford Building on Duke Street underwent a major overhaul in its centenary year and has been divided to house the Larkin’s restaurant and other small businesses.
Part of the ground floor of the landmark building – which includes the spot where some of The Beatles’ first gigs drew legions of fans – has remained unoccupied.
Now the Star has learned that the section of the venue, which opened as a cinema in 1912 and has had numerous guises – including a ballroom, nightclub and pub – is in line from development by local entrepreneurs.
The intention is turn the space – which hosted a number of concerts by the Fab Four between 1962 and 1963 when it was the Plaza – into a cafe bar.
It is expected to be called Cinema Bar.
Plans for the development have been submitted to St Helens Council. The Oxford Building was designed in a Georgian style by architect William Pearson.
After falling into disrepair when the Orange House pub closed about eight years ago, there were fears a venue with significant historical links to St Helens entertainment and social scene could be lost.
According to researchers, the Beatles played the first of five gigs at the Plaza on June 25, 1962.