Send us news by text, start your message Star News and your send photos and videos to 80360
GPW St Helens 10K 2013: Roll of Honour
10:05am Thursday 14th March 2013 in News
ANYONE who has had the ‘pleasure’ of tackling the St Helens 10K’s notorious hilly course will tell you it is a fair old challenge.
But this year the Gods chose to crank up the difficulty level a notch or two – by throwing an Arctic blast into the mix.
It left runners charging up and down North Road on Sunday morning to brave temperatures of 1C – which felt even colder because of a bitterly cold breeze.
But the event, now in its third year, attracted its biggest ever field.
With nearly 1,200 adults completing the full course and another 170 plus juniors running a shorter a 2K distance, it represents nearly double the number of entrants from the inaugural race two years ago.
And there were plenty on the streets and in the North Stand of Langtree Park too, where the Sutton Tornados cheerleaders roared people over the finishing line.
The field included the likes of boxer Martin Murray, Saints coach Nathan Brown, the club’s former skipper Paul Sculthorpe, plus Sky Sports rugby league pundits Barrie McDermott and Terry O’Connor.
The overall winner was Thomas Stecher, of Cambridge University, in a time of 35 mins 31 seconds and Liverpool Harriers Charlotte Wilson won the women’s competition in 40mins 19seconds.
Saints Community Development Foundation Team, which included Brown, won the Liverpool One Corporate Cup team event.
Later, Steve Prescott said on Twitter: “It was great to see so many people’s hard work and dedication over the last few months finally pay off. #crossedthelinewithpride 2014 even bigger.”
ROLL OF HONOUR
- Boys: 1st Joe Houghton, 2nd Kieran O'Donaghue, 3rd Ben Harrison
- Girls: 1st Elizabeth Griffiths, 2nd Lauren Park, 3rd Bethany Haughey
- Men: 1st Thomas Stecher, 2nd Ian Roberts, 3rd Luke Towers
- Women: 1st Charlotte Wilson, 2nd Joanne Jackson, 3rd Michelle Liddle
- Men’s veteran: Andrew Parkinson
- Women’s veteran: Julie Pennington
- Liverpool One Corporate Cup: Saints Community Development Foundation
- Fancy Dress: Darren Henderson aka The Knight