Send us news by text, start your message Star News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Dangerous sex attacker Mathew Wells preyed on women near Earlestown train station
A SEX attacker who preyed on lone women near to a railway station is facing jail.
Mathew Wells, 22, targeted his victims during the morning rush hour in Earlestown.
St Helens Magistrates’ Court heard how Wells – who a district judge says is a “danger to the public” – had forced his first victim to the ground.
The 29-year-old was making her way to work along a car park on Fairclough Street at about 8.25am on December 20 last year when Wells made a lunge for her.
He lay on top of her as she screamed for help and fought to escape. Eventually she pushed him away, but suffered a bloody nose and injuries to her upper body.
During the attack that happened near to the market town’s rail station, Wells did not utter a word.
The second assault happened less than three weeks later 8am on Tuesday, January 8 at Queen Street, close to the location of the first attack.
The victim, who was also 29, was approached by Wells, whose face was partially covered.
Angela Blackmore, prosecuting said: “As he drew level, he reached out and grabbed her crotch. He mumbled something under his breath before walking to Fairclough Street.”
His disturbing pattern of behaviour was finally ended when staff at Earlestown station alerted police.
Mrs Blackmore explained: “On January 12, police received a call from staff that a male was acting suspiciously in the car park.
“It was around 7.39am and his actions were being monitored by CCTV. He was constantly looking around and crossed the road repeatedly.
“He was wearing dark clothing and a rucksack and would duck into bushes whenever a male member of the public walked past.”
Wells was arrested on January 14, but initially denied any involvement.
When questioned, he claimed that he had gone into the bushes to urinate and had been on nightshift before both incidents.
He agreed to take part in an ID parade and was picked out by his first victim.
During a second police interview, Wells admitted being at the scene of the first assault, but just wanted to “hug a female”.
Regarding the second incident, he said he didn’t know why he grabbed the woman and couldn’t understand why he assaulted both women.
Mrs Blackmore said Wells acknowledged that during the first attack, the woman may have believed she was going to be raped and both must have been “scared witless”.
Wells, 22, from Wargrave Road, Newton-le-Willows, admitted two charges of sexual assault.
District judge Bridget Knight described him as a “real risk to the public, adding: “My sentencing powers are not sufficient, so I will leave that to a (crown court) judge.”
He will appear at Liverpool Crown Court next month.