Send us news by text, start your message Star News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Elderly man suffers suspected carbon monoxide poisoning in Newton-le-Willows
1:44pm Friday 15th February 2013 in News
EMERGENCY crews were called after an elderly man suffered a suspected case of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Paramedics contacted the fire service shortly before 9pm last night (Thursday, February 14) after the man was taken ill at the house, near Wargrave Road, Newton-le-Willows.
Wearing breathing masks, crews entered the property with equipment, which found high levels of the gas, described as a “silent killer”.
The man had earlier been treated by amabulance crews and taken to hospital.
Speaking today, Watch Manager Mike Costello, from St Helens Community Fire Station, said: “This was a solid fuel, free-standing boiler with a suspected defective flue causing very high levels of Carbon Monoxide (CO) in the property.
“Our equipment showed a level of 380 CO parts per million, which is a very high reading. At between 400 to 600 Carbon Monoxide parts per million you could lose consciousness and vomit.
“Fortunately, in this circumstance, because it was a solid fuel fire, the occupiers could smell something unusual, as there were a range of gases being let off when the fuel was burnt.
“CO is odourless but in this case the smell of other gases alerted the occupiers.”
Firefighters ventilated the property using a fan and checked levels in neighbouring properties.
Mr Costello added: “There was no CO detector in the premises. We advise people get all gas and fuel burning appliances checked by a registered engineer each year and advise people fit CO detectors.
“This incident shows that it is not just gas appliances that can result in the release of Carbon Monoxide in your home.”