Send us news by text, start your message Star News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Parents of sudden death victim Connor Ashton donate defibrillator to football team
8:00am Friday 25th January 2013 in News
THE parents of a 17-year-old boy who died in his sleep from an undetected heart condition have donated lifesaving equipment to a community football team.
Connor Ashton appeared a fit, healthy and sporty teenager, but he was found dead in the bedroom of his home in Lee Street, Sutton.
He was discovered by his mother Joanne, 42, who had gone into his bedroom to wake him up on Sunday, February 5, last year.
This month would have marked the former St Cuthberts pupil’s 18th birthday.
His tragic death rocked the tight-knit community in Sutton Village and since then Joanne and his dad, Stephen, have campaigned with national cardiac charity SADS UK.
It raises awareness of the deadly condition Sudden Arrhythmic Death syndrome, which it is believed may have claimed Connor’s life.
The couple has worked tirelessly to raise funds to put defibrillators into the community in Connor’s memory, through fun days, bag packing and sponsored walks.
A defibrillator gives an electric shock to the heart to patients who suffer cardiac arrest, a condition that causes the heart to stop pumping blood around the body.
Now Connor’s family are handing over the lifesaving equipment to Parkdale Sidac FC, the club Connor played for as a junior.
The club will keep the equipment on its grounds.
Connor’s father, Stephen, told the Star: “Connor was a lad who loved sports and over time we have learned that these conditions often affect the fittest young people.
“A lot of people probably think something like this will never happen to them. We want to raise awareness that it could and that the defibrillator saves lives.”
Anne Jolly, founder of SADS UK, the Ashley Jolly SAD Trust, said: “Cardiac Arrest can affect all age groups, even children.
“SADS UK is pleased that Parkdale Football Club will benefit from having a defibrillator on the premises to restart the heart if this emergency occurs.”
SADS UK is urging Government to make defibrillators mandatory in all schools.
For information about placing a defibrillator in your community contact Anne Jolly, SADS UK on 01277 811215, email, email@example.com web sadsuk.org.