Send us news by text, start your message Star News and your send photos and videos to 80360
St Helens wakes up to more snow as cold snap continues
8:07am Monday 21st January 2013 in News
ST HELENS faces another morning of disruption after a prolonged overnight snowfall.
Already today some parents have contacted the Star newsroom to say they have been told to keep their children at home by several schools.
St Helens Council has confirmed that the following schools are closed:
School closures for today
• Ashurst Primary School
• Broadoak Primary School
• Chapel End Billinge
• Eccleston Mere Primary School
• Grange Valley Primary School
• Holy Spirit Primary School
• Longton Lane Primary School
• Legh Vale Primary School
• Mill Green
• Merton Bank
• Rainford Brook Lodge Community Primary School
• Robins Lane Primary School
• St. Anne's Primary School Sutton (The year 5 class trip is to be postponed)
• St. Austin's Primary School
• St. Bartholomew's Primary School
• St. Cuthbert's Community College
• St. Mary's & St. Thomas'
• St. Aidens
• St. Theresa's Primary School, Clock Face
• Sutton Academy
• Sutton Oak
• Thatto Heath Community Primary School
The following schools are open
• Blackbrook St. Mary's Primary School will be open as normal, however parents will be given the option to collect their children at 2.30pm.
• Bleak Hill Primary School
• Cowley International College
• Garswood Primary School
• Holy Cross Primary School have advised parents that they will be closing at 11.00am
• Hope Academy
• Newton Primary
• Rainford High School - open today and buses are running as normal
• Rectory Primary School - will close at 1pm
• Rivington Primary School is open this morning with registers staying open until 10am
• Sherdley Primary school
• St. Helens College
• St Julie's Primary School
• St. Peter & St. Pauls
• Thatto Heath Primary School
• Queens Park School will be open for those who can get there safely. You may collect your child from 1pm in case the weather deteriorates or freezes over.
St Helens Council has also confirmed that bin collections will be restricted to main roads only on safety grounds because of the snow.
Staff are being redeployed to snow clearance
Look out for updates later in the morning.
Forecasters say the snow will ease for a while today but temperatures will remain around freezing in the area, barely rising above 1 or 2 for the rest of the week.
Comments are closed on this article.